Vincent Montalto is a proven litigator, smart advocate, creative business partner and trusted legal advisor to businesses of all sizes and is involved in every phase of the commercial life cycle. Valued for practical legal solutions that parallel business objectives, Vinny resolves myriad, complex litigation claims involving millions or even billions of dollars at stake. He is appreciated for solving difficult legal and business problems and litigation claims at the state and federal levels, reconciling even the most disparate positions while minimizing roadblocks to progress in order to realize the full potential for ROI.
In his second decade of practice, Vinny provides the right combination of first-hand business leadership and effectual, acute advocacy on attack or defense. He is known for outstanding negotiation acumen when a dispute can and should be resolved through discrete diplomacy. Vince’s ability to serve as a catalyst for change and resolution is manifest in his innovative approach to risk management and long- and short-term business and litigation planning.
Prior to joining the firm, Vinny worked as in-house counsel for a Fortune 100 company and served as an attorney at two AmLaw 200 law firms. Vinny also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Rudy B. Coleman, JAD of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division.
- J.D., Rutgers University
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- Association of Corporate Counsel Top 10 30-Somethings, 2020
- Association of Corporate Counsel Value Champion Competition, Judge, 2018
- ACC Value Champion, 2017
- New Jersey Law Journal In-House Law Department of the Year (Outside Counsel Management and Diversity), 2016 and 2017, respectively
- Pro Bono Partnership Honor Roll, 2015 and 2016
- Super Lawyers Magazine New Jersey Rising Star, Products Liability, 2014 and 2015
- "Overly Broad PFAS Regs Bring Costs For Companies," Law360, August 19, 2022
- "Keeping Civil Cases Civil: A Best Practice Guide from 4 Perspectives," ACC Digital Docket, July 15, 2019
- "Creating Legal Chemistry: Making Diversity Part of Your In-House Legal Strategy," ACC Docket, October 1, 2018
- "Evolving Negligence Liability for Multi-Tenant Commercial Complexes," New Jersey Law Journal, January 2, 2014
- "Potential Document Review Pitfall: The Common Interest Doctrine," New Jersey Law Journal, June 3, 2013
- Moderator – Reducing Corporate Legal Costs Through Litigation Funding, GICLI Conference, Miami, FL (Nov. 8, 2022)
- Panelist – Chambers and Partners Webinar, Reducing Corporate Legal Costs Through Litigation Funding (Sept. 29, 2022)
- Panelist – LF Dealmakers Forum, Best Practices and Lessons Learned in Firm-Funder Partnerships (Sept. 29, 2022)
- Panelist – Managing IP's IP & Innovation Summit, When money meets IP – what funding is available for IP strategies (May 24, 2022)
- Panelist – The Government Investigations & Civil Litigation Institute's Seventh Annual Meeting, Chief Audit Executives and In-House Counsel Forum (Nov. 9, 2021)
- Panelist – LF Dealmakers Forum, Corporate Litigation Finance at a Tipping Point: Trends & Challenges, (Sept. 29, 2021)
- Panelist – ACC Xchange, Solutioning Session: How to Measure Outcomes as Part of Matter Costs (June 17, 2021)
- Panelist – Ad Item Network, Ad Idem on New Risks – 2021 and Beyond, (May 4, 2021)
- Panelist – The Government Investigations & Civil Litigation Institute's Sixth Annual Meeting, Chief Audit Executives and In-House Counsel Forum, (Oct. 21, 2020)
- Featured Conference Speaker and Panelist – LF Dealmakers Forum, From Cost to Profit: Corporate Perspectives on Litigation Finance, (Oct. 20, 2020)
- Panel Speaker – ACC of NJ, Innovative Techniques for Law Departments to Generate Revenue & Reduce Spend During & After The COVID-19 Crisis (May 20, 2020)
- Speaker – Marcus Evans: Chief Litigation Officer Summit, Achieving Portfolio Success through Alternative Fee Arrangements (June 23, 2019)
- Panel Speaker – Magna Legal Services: Battles of the Experts, Expert Nightmares (May 15, 2019)
- Panel Speaker – ABA Regional Meeting, Civility Panel: Current Issues in Pharmaceutical, Medical Device and Biotech Litigation (Nov. 9, 2018)
- Panel Speaker – The Trial Network.com's CLE Super Course, Get Ready: Preparing for Trial from the In-House Counsel Perspective (Oct. 27, 2018)
- Panel Speaker – The Trial Network.com's CLE Super Course, Legal Project Management Interactive Discussion Group (Oct. 26, 2018)
- Moderator and Speaker – Association of Corporate Counsel National Conference in Washington, D.C., Moderator for Panel Discussion entitled: Data Analytics: AFAs and Budgeting Certainty (October 16, 2017)
- Panel Speaker – Association of Corporate Counsel of New Jersey, All-Day CLE Conference, Budgetology: The "Science" of Developing Successful and Cost-Effective Relationships with Outside Counsel (Sept. 18, 2015)
- Featured and Quoted in Caroline Spiezio, "Corporate leaders warm up to litigation finance amid tight budgets," Westlaw News and Reuters (Oct. 20, 2020)
- Quoted in Michele Gorman, "4 Reasons GCs Won’t Do Business with a Firm," Law360 (Feb. 8, 2019)
- Quoted in "BASF: Driving Diversity One Snapshot at a Time," HARVARD LAW JOURNAL, THE CASE STUDIES, HLS 18-10 (June 2018)
Vinny served as Assistant General Counsel, Litigation to BASF Corp., where he was responsible for litigation strategy and risk mitigation for five North American business units, including those responsible for pharmaceuticals, human nutrition, cosmetics, epoxies, resins, intermediates, oil field and water solutions, amongst others. Vinny was lead negotiator on multimillion-dollar claims, mediations, settlements, arbitrations and litigations, including intellectual property and patent disputes.
In addition to his role as counsel, Vinny developed honed skills in financial management, budgeting and data analytics. He launched and chaired BASF’s summer legal intern program, achieved company recognition through three prestigious awards, initiated a legal diversity program, and created the organizations litigation finance initiative.
Prior to his in-house experience, Vinny served as an associate at two major AmLaw 200 law firms, where he represented pharmaceutical/medical device companies in multi-district litigations, and large European manufacturing and energy companies regarding their risk mitigation and litigation activities.
My latest insights
EPA's Toxics Release Inventory Proposed Rule seeks to increase PFAS reporting
22 December 2022 .5 minute read
Last call: Manufacturers face January 1, 2023 Maine deadline to report PFAS in products,...
9 December 2022 .4 minute read