Kenny MuiSenior Associate
I believe in helping people and businesses with real-world answers and practical solutions – to put businesses and stakeholders in the best place possible in our fast-changing world.
Kenny Mui is a tax lawyer with over 13 years’ experience in driving key Australian tax aspects of transactions and business affairs.
Kenny helps businesses, funds and investors with public/private M&A (domestic and cross-border), renewable projects, international tax governance, digital/tech, and – more recently – cryptocurrency and digital assets.
Kenny understands businesses, and is passionate in global trends and digital adoption.
He strives in giving business-focused answers and real-world solutions, with practical tax foresight/insights and broad business perspectives.
Kenny has helped corporates, multinationals, funds, consortia and investors on their domestic and cross-border affairs – including: capital raising, debt financing/refinancing, M&A (including takeovers and schemes), trusts matters, related party dealings, supply chains, repatriations, restructures and exits.
Kenny stays close to global tax, business and tech trends, being part of DLA Piper’s global tax network and DLA Piper Australia’s Digital Assets and Foreign Investment groups.
He leverages a broad business perspective gained from his time in the Deals/Projects tax team of a 'Big 4' accounting firm, the International Tax team of another global law firm, and the M&A and Financial Services practices of other major law firms in the Asia-Pacific region.
- M&A: advising major foreign/ASX -listed, mid-cap and other businesses on competitive bids, takeovers/schemes and successful share/interest acquisitions and exits of Australian businesses.
- Funds: advising various major Asia Pacific investment funds on fund structuring and direct/indirect acquisitions of blue-chip office towers across Australian capital cities.
- Renewables: advising US, European and Australian renewable energy businesses on solar farm, wind farm (on-shore and off-shore) projects and investments in AustraliaInternational tax: advising foreign-listed, mid-cap and other businesses on global restructures, repatriations, post-restructure/acquisition integrations and tax governance.
- Digital/tech: advising major foreign listed, mid-cap and other global digital businesses on cross-border arrangements, Australian tax obligations and liaison with tax authorities.
- Cryptocurrency and digital assets: advising cryptocurrency investment funds, founders and key investors on funds structuring and implementation.
- Bachelor of Commerce and Law, University of New South Wales
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Law
- Master of Laws, University of Sydney