Sofía O´Ryan concentrates her professional practice in competition law. In this context, she advises on matters related to merger control procedures, unilateral conducts and cartels, both in investigations before the National Economic Prosecutor’s Office (FNE) and in proceedings before the Tribunal for the Defense of Competition.
She advices on and assists in the design and implementation of commercial policies consistent with the strategic objectives of each client and current regulations, as well as in the development of compliance programs and internal investigations for the timely prevention and detection of potentially risky behaviors, assisting clients in the definition of the most appropriate solutions.
Sofía regularly advises clients on competition matters in day-to-day business, with a focus on potential abuses of a dominant position in commercial practices and policies. She has assisted in collaboration between competitors, exclusivity agreements and the use of competitor information, among others.
- Inversiones Santa María: Advised the client in the sale of its participation in the information security company Neosecure, with presence in Chile, Peru, Argentina, Spain, Colombia and Brazil, to the Brazilian fund Patria. We also advised the client on the termination of the shareholders' agreement and future obligations with The Rohatyn Group, which also sold its stake in Neosecure.
- Uber: Defense of Uber Chile SpA and Uber International Holding B.V. before the TDLC in an unfair competition lawsuit filed by two groups of cab drivers against clients and other companies of personal mobility applications.
- American Tower Corporation: Advised the client in the purchase of 30,722 telecommunications towers from Telefónica Group in Europe (Germany and Spain) and Latin America (Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Peru).
- Patria Investments: Advised in two merger control proceedings before the National Economic Prosecutor's Office, approved outright.
- Innergex: Advised in a merger control proceeding before the National Economic Prosecutor's Office, being approved without measures.
- Retail company: Development of a customized antitrust compliance program.
- Construction company: Elaboration of a tailor-made antitrust compliance program.
- Universidad de Chile, Law Degree, 2011, summa cum laude
- Universidad de Chile, Faculty of Economics and Business, Diploma in Regulation and Competition, 2015, summa cum laude
- King's College London, LL.M., 2017, cum laude
- The Legal 500 Latin America
2022 - 2023 Rising Star, Chile Competition and Antitrust
- Leaders League (Competition Antitrust & Investigations - Recommended 2021 - Highly Recommended 2022 – Merger Control – Highly Recommended 2022)
- Latin Lawyer (Antitrust & Competition – Highly Recommended 2023)
- Becas Chile, 2017 (scholarship delivered by the chilean government)
- Best Graduate Award (6t place) 2012. Universidad de Chile Best Graduates Award
- Editorial Jurídica Award, 2009. Universidad de Chile Best Grades Award (1st Place)
- Coordinator of the Antitrust Division, National Economic Prosecutor's Office, 2020
- Coordinator of the Merger Division, National Economic Prosecutor's Office, 2018–2020
- Intern at the European Commission, Directorate General for Competition, Belgium, 2017
- Lawyer at the Merger Division, National Economic Prosecutor's Office, 2013–2016
- "Compliance y Libre Competencia: Tareas pendientes", Vive Compliance Magazine y Centro de Competencia (CeCo) de la Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, August 2021. Co-autored with Carolina Bawlitza
- "Adquisiciones de Facebook y certeza jurídica: reflexiones para Chile", Centro Competencia Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, February 2021. Co-autored with Macarena Alliende
- ¿Qué certezas tenemos sobre la prohibición de directores comunes? (Asuntos Legales, Diario La República, August 2022)
- Licitaciones y libre competencia: ¿está funcionando el sistema actual? (La Tercera-Pulso - May 2021)
- Automotoras, aerolíneas y retail: los sectores que tendrán un mayor impacto por la Ley Pro Consumidor (El Mercurio - 30 January 2022)
- Expertas en libre competencia proponen potenciar rol de la FNE y regular economía digital de cara al próximo gobierno (El Mercurio - November 2021)
- Claro y VTR fusionarán negocios para desplegar agresivo plan de crecimiento en 5G y fibra óptica (Diario Financiero - 30 September 2021)
- Cabify y Uber vuelven a la carga: se defienden de las acusaciones de los taxistas en la Suprema (El Diario Financiero - 13 September 2021)
- Patria Investments Acquisition of NeoSecure (Global Legal Chronicle - 20 August 2021)
- Patria Investments incrementa su portafolio con chilena NeoSecure (Lex Latin - 16 August 2021)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chilean Bar Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper receives 2021 LatAm Deal of the Year Award from TTR for representation of...
28 January 2022 .3 minute read