Rita M. PatelPartner
Co-Chair, Transactions Specialists practice
Rita Patel is an experienced attorney focusing her practice on executive compensation and employee benefits matters. Her services span the full range of domestic and international employee benefits law issues, including complex taxation, equity design, disclosures, asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, spin-offs and other strategic alliances. She advises in both sell- and buy-side representations.
Rita maintains a broad-based employee benefits practice which includes designing sophisticated qualified and nonqualified retirement and deferred compensation plans. She has considerable experience advising clients in the correction of plan failures under IRS and Department of Labor correction programs. She routinely advises clients on fiduciary and governance matters, which includes the formation and operation of plan fiduciary committees and provides fiduciary training. Rita also provides guidance regarding welfare plans, including multiple employer welfare arrangements.
Her leadership and dedication are evident in her work as the current Chair of the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice at DLA Piper.
- LL.M., Tax, Georgetown University 2000
- J.D., Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University 1996
Woolsack Honor Society
- B.A., American University 1993
magna cum laude
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, District of Columbia Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2021-2022)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Employee Benefits, Executive Compensation and Retirement Plans: Transactional (2018-2022)
- Recommended, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation and Retirement Plans: Design (2018-2020)
- Recommended, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2017)
Rita continues to assist immigration clients through DLA Piper's pro bono asylum program.
Prior to joining the firm, Rita worked for the US Department of Justice through its Attorney General's Honor Program. Through this program, Rita practiced immigration law first as a US Immigration Court clerk and then as an attorney with the Executive Office for Immigration Review.
Civic and Charitable
- Board Member, Children's National Hospital (Children’s Health Board)
- Former Board Member, Street Law Board
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, 2021 Law360 Benefits Editorial Board
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Vice Chair, Executive Compensation Subcommittee
- Former Vice Chair, ERISA Litigation Subcommittee
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Former Vice Chair, Employee Benefits Subcommittee
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Freightos Limited in its business combination with Gesher I Acquisition...
26 January 2023 .2 minute read