Carlos is currently the head partner for the Tax Department of DLA Piper's Madrid office.
He has over 25 years' experience in the provision of tax advice in M&A transactions, project finance and corporate restructuring. He is highly recognised for his involvement in international tax planning matters, both for foreign investments in Spain and Spanish investments abroad, in particular in and beverage sector as well as in the health and pharmaceutical sectors.
Carlos advises Venture Capital entities in the planning of their investments and also the managers. Carlos is also a lecturer at the Instituto de Empresa on Venture Capital taxation and at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid on taxation of the Digital Economy. He also teaches Transfer Pricing in the Master's Degree in Tax Consultancy at ESADE/Universidad de Comillas.
- Advising a global investment and financial services fund on the tax structuring for the acquisition of a 50% stake in four companies in Colombia operating various concessions.
- Advising a leading financial services investment company on the tax structuring of the acquisition of 70% of the Spanish group (joint venture transaction); on the manager's incentive plan (MIP) and on the structure of the management services.
- Advising a renewable energy company on tax and transfer pricing issues to create an efficient cross-border financing structure for the group.
- Advising a healthcare company on the review of the risks of the current holding structure of the group taking into account the current tax developments in EU and Spanish case law and the proposed ATAD 3 Directive.
- Tax advice to a financial services company on the potential acquisition of rights to a catalogue of songs and their subsequent exploitation.
- Advising on the international reorganisation of the Chilean group, which involved the incorporation of a Spanish ETVE as the group's parent company.
- Tax advice to a well-known beverage company and its subsidiaries in Spain and Portugal in connection with various tax audits and litigation related to the international structure of the group and its activity.
- Tax advice to a well-known French real estate company in relation to a financing granted for the acquisition of assets, including the appropriateness of the structure and the implications of the DAC Directive6.
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Master Degree in Taxation
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Law Degree
- Universidad San Pablo CEU, business law
- European Legal 500, Tax, 2009 to 2020
- Chambers Europe,Tax, 2011 to 2020
- Best Lawyers: 2013 to 2020
- 2006 to date, Partner, DLA Piper
- 2002 to 2005, Partner, International law firm
- 1994 to 2002, Ernst & Young
Carlos Rodríguez lectures at the IE business school on Private Equity taxation, at University Carlos III on taxation of Digital Economy and at ESADE business school on Transfer Pricing.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association (Ilustre Colegio de Abogados de Madrid) since 1992
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Pricoa on the granting of a financing to Real Betis Balompié
2 February 2023 .2 minute read