Joshua Schwartzman, is an associate in firm's Intellectual Property and Technology group based out of the firm's New York office. Joshua received his J.D. from Fordham University in 2016. He concentrates his practice on intellectual property litigation matters involving trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, and other commercial litigation matters such as right of publicity, theft of trade secrets, and complex commercial disputes. Joshua has represented large multinational and Fortune 500 companies as well as small emerging public and privately held companies across a broad spectrum of industries including sports, media and entertainment, consumer retail, tobacco, biotechnology, software, and financial services industries. Joshua has litigated through trial disputes in multiple federal courts around the country as well as before the USPTO's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. He is experienced in all phases of litigation including the drafting of pleadings, motions, pretrial papers. Joshua also has responsibility for handling complex discovery aspects of the cases in which he works.
Joshua also advises clients on a variety of subjects, including false advertising, unfair competition, domestic trademark prosecution and branding strategies.
Representative Copyright, Trademark and Trade Secret Litigation
- Dr. Seuss Enterprises LP v. ComicMix LLC et al (SD Cal.)—representing Dr. Seuss Enterprises in copyright and trademark litigation relating to infringement of iconic Seuss works, including Oh The Places You'll Go. Assisted in the preparation of 9th Circuit briefing that resulted in the overturning of the trials court’s finding of fair use.
- PaySys International, Inc. v. Atos SE, et al (SDNY)—representing Atos and Worldline in copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract and related tort action concerning credit card and payment processing software; helped to secure pre-trial dismissal of all 11 causes of action brought under federal, state and foreign law.
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. v. ICE Clear US, Inc. et al (ND Ill.)—representing Intercontinental Exchange in trademark infringement action.
- Empresa Cubana del Tobaco d/b/a Cubatabaco v. General Cigar Co., Inc. (TTAB)—representing General Cigar in a trademark cancellation action related to the ownership of the "COHIBA" trademark.
- N.T.A.A. (No Talk All Action), Inc. v. Nordstrom, Inc. & NIKE, Inc. (CD Cal)—representing NIKE in a trademark infringement action.
- Certified Collectibles Group, Inc. et al. v. Globant LLC et al. (MD Fla.)—representing Globant LLC and its parent entity in a commercial dispute, securing pretrial dismissal of eight causes of action brought under federal and state law.
- Codexis, Inc. v. Codex DNA, Inc. (ND Cal.)—representing Codex DNA, Inc., a synthetic DNA company in trademark infringement action.
- J.D., Fordham University
- B.A., History, Duke University