Maria ScottSenior Associate
Maria Scott's experience includes disputes related to gas pricing, joint venture agreements concerning the production of commodities, and other commercial contracts, with a particular emphasis on disputes in the energy sector, as well as matters of contractual interpretation and claims of fraud or misrepresentation.
Maria has represented clients before leading arbitration institutions such as the LCIA, ICC and SCC and in proceedings before the High Court of England and Wales.
- Acting for a major energy company in its successful defense against claims for an alleged breach of contractual good faith obligations brought by its fellow shareholders in an LCIA arbitration seated in London, estimated to be in excess of USD5bn.
- Acting in multiple separate SCC arbitrations with a Stockholm seat concerning the supply and transit of natural gas.
- Representing a respondent-state in an ICSID investment treaty dispute relating to the alleged termination of a mining licence involving claims in excess of USD2bn.
- Acting for an Asian energy company in Singapore-seated ICC arbitration in respect of its claims for price revision under an English law long term LNG sale and purchase agreement, with a value of several hundred million.
- Representing a prominent Indian businessman in a USD600m financial services / real estate dispute in an LCIA arbitration seated in Singapore, in particular obtaining orders for the giving of evidence in support of the arbitration before the courts in England, Singapore and India, including appearing before a Master in the English High Court.
- Acting for a joint venture company in a LCIA London arbitration concerning a shareholder dispute relating to contracts entered into by a major commodity producer, with a value of approximately USD 50bn.
- Obtaining a third party disclosure orders and a multi-party worldwide freezing order and recovering assets for a large international retailer who was victim of an employee fraud spanning 8 years.
- College of Law, Legal Practice Course, 2012
- Université de Paris II Panthéon-Assas, Maîtrise en droit, 2011
- University of Cambridge, BA (Hons), Law - Double Maîtrise, 2011
- Maria Scott is a “leader in the making”. (Legal 500, 2022)
- Maria Scott is "'very clever and tenacious; master of the detail; quick and deft of mind; a rising star". (Legal 500, 2020)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Maria is a member of the Working Group on Legal Tech Adoption in International Arbitration, which published in 2020 a Protocol for Online Case Management in International Arbitration, available at https://protocol.techinarbitration.com/p/1
My latest insights
English Commercial Court declines Spain’s attempt to resist enforcement of intra-EU ICSID...
5 July 2023 .17 minute read
Law applicable to arbitration agreements: Law Commission consults on new statutory rule
10 May 2023 .7 minute read