R. Brian SeibertOf Counsel
R. Brian Seibert focuses his practice on international dispute resolution, insurance coverage litigation, and reinsurance arbitrations.
Brian counsels and represents insurers, reinsurers, and state insurance departments in connection with a wide range of matters, including the litigation and arbitration of complex and high-exposure claims, regulatory compliance, and policy drafting.
Brian has represented insurers and reinsurers in connection with claims in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and Africa. He represents insurers in mediations, arbitrations, and litigations in state and federal courts throughout the U.S. and in London relating to various types of insurance coverage, including first-party property, commercial general liability, pollution liability, event cancellation, liquor liability, marine cargo, cyber liability, terrorism, and builder’s risk. He also represents reinsurers in domestic and international arbitration proceedings, including matters involving first-party and third-party property damage claims, property catastrophe excess of loss reinsurance, and rescission.
He regularly counsels and represents insurers, reinsurers, and state insurance departments in connection with complex and high-exposure claims, including those involving environmental claims, asbestos claims, allocation issues, bad faith claims, and more, recently, COVID-19 claims.
- J.D., St. John's University School of Law 2004
Chief Justice, Moot Court Honor Society
President, International Law Society
Representative, St. John's Student Bar Association
CALI Awards for Excellence in Contracts I and Estate Planning
Best Brief Award for the highest combined scoring briefs in the moot court selection process
- B.S., Boston College 2000
The New York State Bar Association has recognized Brian as an Empire State Counsel since 2009 for his pro bono services.
Brian has provided pro bono representation to survivors of domestic violence in court and immigration proceedings. He also regularly provides estate planning guidance to the elderly and those battling cancer. In addition, he has also provided services to Election Protection and the Big Brother Association.
- Co-author, "Keyspan & Vanderbilt: Contract Enforcement Meets Judicial Gerrymandering In Insurance Allocation," March 15, 2017
- Co-author, "Why The 'Unavailability Exception' Should Be Rejected," Law360, March 15, 2017
- Co-author, "4 States Enforce NY Forum and Choice-Of-Law Provisions," Law360, April 19, 2016
- Speaker, Lessons Learned: ERM, ORSE and Corporate Governance, Association of Insurance Compliance Professionals 30th Annual Conference, Seattle, Washington, October 3, 2017
- "2 Years In, Sandy Suits Target Flood Exclusion, Deductibles," Law 360 (November 12, 2014)
- "After A Year Of Stewing, Big Sandy Claims Bound For Court," Law360 (October 28, 2013)
- "Why All Is Still Quiet On The Sandy Litigation Front," Law 360 (October 25, 2013)
While attending law school, Brian served as an intern for the Honorable Joanna Seybert of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Memberships And Affiliations
Brian is a member of the Insurance Coverage subcommittee of the Torts, Insurance and Compensation Law section of the New York State Bar Association. He is also a member of Beta Gamma Sigma, the national honors society serving academic business programs.