Maia Sevilla-SharonOf Counsel
Maia advises multinational corporate clients in the areas of FCPA and regulatory compliance, complex civil litigation, product safety, and data strategy and security.
She has represented clients in a wide range of high-stakes lawsuits, including breach of contract, business torts and insurance coverage disputes. She also has represented healthcare and pharmaceutical clients in government investigations and internal compliance matters.
- Represented two former executives of multinational corporation in multidistrict litigation, defeating on summary judgment claims asserted under the Torture Victim Protection Act.
- Represented multinational corporations in FCPA and compliance investigations and internal reviews in markets in the U.S., Europe and Asia
- Advised multinational automobile manufacturer on regulatory and compliance risks associated with data storage in the U.S. and in Europe
- Served as lead national counsel to chemical manufacturer in multimillion dollar class action and other complex multi-party litigation involving product liability and mass tort claims in the United States and Canada
- Obtained dismissal of class action complaint against national real estate developer brought by home owners who alleged failure to disclose that properties were subject to special assessments
- Managed global litigation of international domain name registrar, including supervising the work of local counsel in Asia, Latin America, and Europe
- Defended healthcare companies in member-initiated benefit coverage disputes
- Represented identity theft protection company in commercial disputes and in regulatory proceedings initiated by the Federal Trade Commission
- Represented global pharmaceutical company in DOJ investigation alleging violations of the False Claims Act and the Anti-Kickback Statute
- J.D., Columbia University School of Law 2004
- B.A., Political Science, Barnard College 2000
Maia is heavily involved in DLA Piper's pro bono practice.
Before joining DLA Piper, Maia clerked for the Honorable Bruce W. Kauffman of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.