Erin M. SweeneyPartner
Erin M. Sweeney advises on all facets of employee benefits, including Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance, mental health parity, transparency, health privacy and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) matters generally and more specifically in the context of COVID-19 considerations, welfare benefit claims, health insurance continuation (COBRA), US Department of Labor (DOL) audits and investigations, and employee benefit plan administration, including the application of Title I of ERISA to benefit plans. She counsels and represents parties in litigation regarding fiduciary obligations, including plan investments, fee disclosure and prohibited transactions and exemptions. She additionally provides advice on post-retirement medical benefits and the employee benefits provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, District of Columbia Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2021-2023)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Employee Benefits, Executive Compensation and Retirement Plans: Transactional (2022)
- Best Lawyers, "Best Lawyers in America"
- Super Lawyers, "Top-rated Employee Benefits Attorney"
- "2021 Midyear Meeting: Subcommittee on Fiduciary Responsibility/Plan Investments," American Bar Association, January 28, 2021
- "SCOTUS Takes Aim at the ACA: The 2021 Tax Season (with a CAA Appetizer)," American Bar Association, January 27, 2021
- "Red State, Blue State," Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield, October 15, 2020
- "Has the DOL declared war on ESG investments?," American Bar Association, October 2, 2020
- Moderator, "Reopening America: Stimulus One, Two, Three, Four!," ABA Taxation Section, July 28, 2020
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Board of Governors, the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Senior Editor, BNA's flagship treatise, Employee Benefits Law
- Vice Chair, Employee Benefits Committee, ABA Taxation Section
- Co-Chair, ERISA Subcommittee, ABA Labor and Employment Law Section
My latest insights
IRS announces 2023 retirement and benefit plan limits, SSA announces COLA adjustment
3 November 2022 .37 minute read
Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health: Implications for business of a post-Roe landscape
22 June 2022 .2 minute read