Dr Kai Tumbrägel LL.M.Partner
Dr Kai Tumbrägel's practice focuses on all kinds of intellectual property, unfair competition, media, entertainment and sports law issues, including corresponding litigation proceedings as well as related national and cross-border M&A transactions. He also has extensive experience in commercial contracting with a focus on distribution and agency, licensing and production, research and development as well as cooperation agreements.
Kai has several years of experience in advising prominent clients in contentious and non-contentious matters, in particular companies from the consumer goods, fashion, media and sports industry.
- Advising several national and international media companies continuously with respect to production, license and other exploitation agreements, the acquisition of third party rights as well as copyright and trademark-related issues
- Advising an international media company with respect to the acquisition of a German TV channel as well as on its joint venture with a leading German entertainment company
- Advising a Malta based media company on various acquisitions in the gambling sector
- Advising numerous clients, including well known companies from the consumer goods and fashion industry, continuously in connection with trademark infringements and the respective representation before the German courts as well as with trademark applications and opposition proceedings before the German and European Trademark Office
- Advising numerous clients continuously on and conducting of numerous contentious cases involving product piracy, including liaising with German custom authorities
- Advising numerous clients continuously in relation to games of chance and competitions as well as other advertising and promotion campaigns and the corresponding unfair competition, consumer protection and data protection law issues
- Universities of Cape Town and Stellenbosch, LL.M., 2003
- Higher Regional Court of Celle, Second State Examination, 2002
- Westfälische Wilhelms-University Münster, Ph.D., 2001
Westfälische Wilhelms-University Münster, First State Examination, 1999
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for media: contracts and copyrights, transactions and financing, regulatory as well as trademark and design law; “trustful good cooperation in IP and competition law”, client (2021/2022)
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for intellectual property: trade marks and unfair competition and media: entertainment (including gaming)
- Managing Intellectual Property 2021/2022: Awarded as “IP Star”
- WirtschaftsWoche 2019: Highly recommended as one of the “most renowned copyright teams”
- Kanzleimonitor 2020/2021: Recommended for IT law
Kai contributes to All-In – DLA Piper's resource for gambling industry news and legal developments.
Memberships And Affiliations
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- International Sport Lawyers Association (ISLA)
- German-South African Lawyers Association (DSJV)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)