André’s practice focuses on corporate and commercial law. With over 24 years of post-qualification experience he advises local and international clients on mergers and acquisitions, inbound and outbound cross-border investment, corporate establishments and restructurings. André also advises on general commercial matters including information technology law, exchange control, supply and franchise agreements, BEE compliance and IP commercialisation where his experience spans a range of sectors including technology, agriculture, consumer goods, financial services and real estate.
In addition to advising clients on their investments into and out of South Africa, André’s experience extends across the African continent. He is experienced at managing multi-jurisdictional Pan-African corporate and commercial matters, providing clients with a single point of contact and working behind the scenes to coordinate lawyers on the ground as required.
André is an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa and is also a registered Conveyancer, Notary Public and Tax Practitioner. He has spoken at many international conferences, authored various publications and lectured at South Africa’s leading universities on commercial law topics.
- Advising Aurecon Africa on its demerger from Aurecon Group internationally and establishing an new independent African business under the name “Zutari”.*
- Advising Zutari on its acquisition of the Middle East business of Aurecon Group.*
- Advising a South African diversified holdings company in respect of the disposal of a laboratory business in South Africa and Zambia to one of South Africa’s leading providers of occupational health and safety training solutions.*
- Advising a Netherlands-based private equity firm in respect of the EUR99 million disposal of a South African industrials company and its parent company to a German multinational automotive company.*
- Advising a newly established South African bank in respect of the transfer of its business from a predecessor firm.*
- Advising Efficient Group Limited (Efficient) in respect of the acquisition by Apis (UK) of a controlling interest in Efficient and the subsequent delisting of Efficient from the JSE Limited.*
- Acting for the controlling shareholders in respect of the sale of the ‘Oh So Heavenly’ Brand Portfolio and 100% of the issued shares in Canway Proprietary Limited, to WIPRO Unza (Singapore).*
- Advising a Netherlands-based technology company in connection with its acquisition of a software business from a South African software company.*
- Advising a leading multi-national confectionery and snack foods company in respect of the restructuring of its operations in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.*
- Advising ZZ2 on:
- its group restructure and buy-out of minority shareholders*
- its joint venture with Criterion African Partners.*
*Denotes experience from a previous firm.
- LLM, University of Pretoria, 2015
- HDip.International Tax, University of Johannesburg, 2001
- HDip.Tax, University of Johannesburg, 1997
LLB, University of Pretoria, 1992
BCom (Law), University of Pretoria, 1989
- IFLR (2019 – 2022) – Highly Regarded for M&A, South Africa
- Who’s Who Legal (2017 – 2021) – Recommended for Franchising
- Best Lawyers in South Africa (Corporate Law) 2022 - 2023 editions.
- Author of the sections on commercialisation, exchange control and tax of IP in the Practitioner’s Guide to Intellectual Property Law (Lexisnexis).
- Co-author to Commercial Law in Africa : An Easy Reference (AA publication).
- Country author (South Africa) of the tax and exchange control chapter of International Licensing and Technology Transfer : Practice and the Law (Kluwer Law International).
- Country co-author (South Africa) of Data Protection & Privacy (European Lawyer).
- Country co-author (South Africa) of Getting the Deal Through : Data Protection & Privacy.
- André has spoken at many international conferences, authored various publications and lectured at South Africa’s leading universities on commercial law topics.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- The SA Institute of Directors (IODSA)
- The SA Institute of Tax Professionals (SAIT)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises ASP Isotopes on Strategic Relationship with PET Labs
31 October 2023 .1 minute read