Mei Mei WongPartner
Mei Mei Wong is an industry-recognised leading banking and finance lawyer experienced in advising corporates, financial institutions, investment funds, government institutions and insolvency practitioners across a across a wide range of domestic and cross-border transactions. Mei Mei’s practice focuses on corporate financing, acquisition financing and fund financing. Mei Mei also regularly advises on the finance aspects of restructurings and liability management.
Mei Mei is dual-qualified in England and Wales and in Australia. Her versatility across different financial products and structures and the ability to efficiently grasp client's objectives equips her to consistently provide tailored and value-add advice.
- Advising Azrieli Group on the syndicated refinancing of its approximate US$850 million acquisition of Norwegian data centre provider Green Mountain, and the financing considerations of Green Mountain's expansion into the United Kingdom.
- Advising VEON, a major global telecommunications group, on over USD3 billion of financing facilities, including its USD2.1 billion term and revolving credit facilities. Certain of such facilities included emerging markets loans and facilities backed by export credit agency guarantees.
- Advising Global Telecom Holding, an Egyptian listed company, on a USD200 million bridge facility to finance a tender offer to buy back 10% of its share capital, and subsequently the finance aspects of VEON's mandatory tender offer for the remaining shares in Global Telecom Holding for USD2.3 billion which won “Telecom M&A Deal of the Year – Emerging Markets” at the TMT M&A Awards.
- Advising Neqsol Holdings and Bakcell on the bridge financing and bond take-out for its USD743 million acquisition of Vodafone Ukraine.
- Advising Preem AB, Sweden’s largest fuel company, and Corral Petroleum on their USD2.14 billion refinancing by way of a new revolving borrowing base facility and term facility.
- Advising Merlin Entertainments plc, one of the world’s largest attraction operators, on the refinancing of its bank facilities including an increased and extended GBP600 million revolving credit facility and the English law aspects of its issue of USD400 million 5.75% Senior Notes due 2026.
- Advising digital finance company Jaja Finance on the acquisition financing of its GBP530 million acquisition of Bank of Ireland’s UK credit card business.
- Advising the joint administrators of NMC Health PLC on the finance aspects of developing and implementing a restructuring strategy for the NMC group. The NMC group is a significant provider globally in the private healthcare market, and is the UAE’s largest private healthcare group.
- Advising the Department for Transport on the finance aspects of the Heathrow Expansion Programme (formerly the Airport Capacity Programme), including advising on the financing structure of the Heathrow Group and delivery support options.
- Monash University, Bachelor of Laws, honours
- University of Melbourne, Bachelor of Commerce
- Mei Mei has been recognised by Legal 500 for Bank Lending – Investment Grade and Syndicated Loans and Acquisition Finance, and was named a “Rising Star” for Bank Lending – Investment Grade and Syndicated Loans in 2022 and 2023.
- Mei Mei is “… extremely good from a technical perspective…has excellent analytical skills, is extremely detail orientated and always provides sound advice which is credible, thoughtful and commercial.” Legal 500, UK
Mei Mei has presented on acquisition financing at DLA Piper’s “M&A Academy” attended by a wide range of industry professionals, and has separately conducted client presentations on finance and security structures and security enforcement matters.
Mei Mei has conducted seminars at Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia on international business negotiations which were widely attended including by members of the Ethiopian government.
Memberships And Affiliations
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- The Law Institute of Victoria