Thomas E. ZuticPartner
Tom Zutic is Chair of DLA Piper’s Washington, DC Trademark, Copyright, and Media Group. Tom regularly counsels clients on a variety of intellectual property issues affecting their day-to-day business operations and transactions. Tom works with clients on a wide variety of intellectual property matters, with a particular focus on trademark counselling and enforcement, complex intellectual property licensing, as well as copyright enforcement and litigation, domain name, and other Internet issues. He partners with clients to identify valuable intellectual property assets, as well as develop effective strategies to enhance the value of their intellectual property and take action against unauthorized uses of the same. Tom works closely with clients in all sectors including the video game and media, retail, real-estate, and professional services sectors.
Tom has in-depth experience in intellectual property licensing and he works with clients to acquire, develop, and exploit intellectual property assets. He also frequently advises clients on brand development and protection, as well as the intellectual property aspects of mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence and agreement drafting.
Tom also handles trademark and copyright litigation matters in the federal courts, as well as inter partes trademark matters before the United States Patent and Trademark Office Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Tom has successfully handled numerous ICANN domain name disputes and assists clients with all aspects of domain name portfolio management.
Tom is very active in connection with intellectual property issues related to the Metaverse, as well as NFTs, and regularly writes and presents on these issues.
Tom is Chair of the US Chapter of Iris, DLA Piper’s LGBTQ Resource Group, and he is a member of DLA Piper's North American Pro Bono Committee. He also serves on the Boards of the Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts and Olney Theatre Center.
- J.D., American University, Washington College of Law
The American University Law Review
- B.A., George Washington University
- Chambers USA
- Band 2, District of Columbia Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2021-2022)
- "Thomas Zutic heads the firm's trademark and copyright group and offers broad experience covering an array of industry sectors. He frequently advises on matters relating to licensing, transactional IP and general portfolio management.” Clients describe Thomas as "very responsive," who is a "capable lawyer with good common sense."
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Trademarks: Non-Contentious (including Prosecution, Portfolio Management and Licensing) (2022)
- Recommended, Trademarks: Litigation (2020)
- The World Trademark Review has said, "As local trademark, copyright and media group chair, Thomas Zutic has played an essential part in the firm's success. He forms a superb pairing with Ford in the service of top brands, which benefit immeasurably from his trademark licensing and transactional prowess."
- Commended in the WTR 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals (2017)
- Named by World Trademark Review 1000 as a top trademark practitioner (2015-2016)
In 2008, Thomas was appointed to the board of directors of Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts, whose legal services program supports artistic expression and creative innovation in the arts and cultural communities of Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia. In 2009, WALA recognized him with its Stewardship Excellence Award for his work re-establishing and running its monthly legal advice clinics.
Thomas regularly makes presentations and conducts workshops for his clients on the basic principles involved in the use and protection of trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and domain names.
- Co-author, ''5 Tips For Surviving A Trademark Opposition Challenge,'' Law 360 (December 23, 2014)
- Presenter "Getting Your Franchise Rocket Ready to Launch," FranConnection 2012, National Harbor, Maryland (May 2012)
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Maryland Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Washington Area Lawyers for the Arts
My latest insights
The World's Leading Trademark Professionals recognizes 40 DLA Piper lawyers
2 March 2022 .4 minute read