Our international team of lawyers, consisting of Russian, English and US qualified lawyers, are experienced in a wide range of business transactions, including franchising, brand development, life sciences, pharmaceuticals and related matters. We advise international and local pharmaceutical companies on issues related to Russian regulatory framework for manufacturing, circulation and pricing of pharmaceuticals. We also offer advice on various aspects relating to compliance with regulatory requirements for importation and distribution of medical products and medical devices, and assist clients in the licensing of medical product manufacturing technology. Finally, we also extensively advise international and local pharmaceutical companies in various forms of M&A and private equity transactions.
Sophisticated biotechnology and pharmaceutical clients want and need their lawyers to understand their business, anticipate legal problems, know how others in the industry are addressing emerging issues, know what regulators and tax professionals think, and be able to provide timely answers. It takes extensive industry involvement to provide this level of service. This is why DLA Piper is the logical choice for life sciences companies seeking a strategic legal partner in Russia.
- Advising a major Japanese pharmaceutical company in a competitive sale process for the acquisition of over-the-counter and food supplement brands in Russia worth US$ 1 billion, including due diligence and full transaction support.
- Advising a major Japanese pharmaceutical company in a competitive sale process for the acquisition of over-the-counter brands in the CIS worth US$ 500 million, including due diligence and full transaction support.
- Advising a large Hungarian pharmaceutical company in a competitive sale process for the acquisition of a US$ 100 million asset in Russia, including due diligence and full transaction support.
- Advising a large Russian group of companies on the sale of the over-the-counter pharmaceuticals company in Russia to an international pharmaceuticals company headquartered in Canada.
- Advising a Russian company and its group involved in organization of clinical trials (medical testing at preregistration phase) and operating in various jurisdictions across Eastern Europe and in the US, on various structuring issues in connection with the company's contemplated expansion to Western European markets, including due diligence.
- Acting for a German multinational chemical and pharmaceutical company in reorganisation and restructuring in relation to the merger of the Russian subsidiaries of Bayer and Schering-Plough (as part of the global Bayer-Schering merger), including advice on both general corporate and tax issues, and legal and tax due diligence of draft agreements regarding the Russian distribution campaign.
- Providing legal assistance to a large US life sciences company with regard to a full pre-acquisition due diligence of a St Petersburg-based pharmaceutical company.
- Advising a leading Italian life sciences multinational company on the restructuring of its US$ 90 million IP assets acquired as part of the acquisition of a Russian bio-pharma target company, including extensive tax and IP advice specifically with respect to acquiring and restructuring all the license operations and intellectual property in Russia for the Italian group, involving the structuring of several patents, industrial designs and over 100 trademarks use for drugs and biologically active additions.
- Advising a US based global healthcare company on a joint venture project related to import and distribution of pharmaceuticals in Russia, including advice on Russian pricing regulations.
- Acting for a leading Norwegian engineering and construction company working across a number of industries, including pharmaceuticals, in its acquisition of a Russian engineering bureau. The mandate included significant regulatory support in addition to the M&A work.
- Advising a Swiss based global healthcare company on setting up a EUR 80 million greenfield project in Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Novoorlovskaya, St Petersburg, including registration of a legal entity in St Petersburg, analysis of the SEZ agreement required for granting Novartis SEZ resident status, conducting due diligence in relation to the land plot in order to detect key risks.
- Advising a leading global biopharma company in relation to general employ-ment law matters, including reorganisation.
- Advising a leading international medical technology company and developer of hearing implants system, in the planning, structuring, negotiation and document preparation for the completion of a know-how license and distribution relationship for the manufacture and sale of medical devices in Russia.
- Representing a major world-wide pharmaceutical company in relation to the stoppage of unauthorized use of five domain names by a third party and the related settlement agreement.
- Representing a major German personal-care company in a landmark domain name cyber-squatting case.
- Advising a number of clients on regulatory and practical aspects of structuring clinical trials.