Our restructuring team in Thailand has a deep understanding of the local market and extensive experience of advising local and international organisations on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency.
We advise on the restructuring of businesses involving the disposal of non-core assets, recapitalisation and rescheduling of borrowings. We have extensive experience of advising debtors and controlling shareholders in workout situations, having advised on numerous financial restructurings and operational restructurings. We also assist clients on the acquisition of operating assets or equity interests from distressed companies and asset management companies, as well as helping to source new funding and equity investment in distressed assets from our strong investor client base.
We work with financial advisers and accountants on risk management matters and represent planners in formal business reorganisations under Thailand’s Bankruptcy Act, with strategies devised by our partners leading to successful financial and operational restructuring.
Through our network of offices and relationships with partner firms we are adept at delivering restructuring and insolvency legal services across Asia Pacific.
Our restructuring team in Thailand is part of our global restructuring practice, which is one of the world's leaders. With dedicated restructuring lawyers across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we have the knowledge, experience and resources to address our clients' restructuring and insolvency needs on a national and international basis. Around the world, our specialist restructuring lawyers 'on the ground' have extensive knowledge of local markets and the associated challenges our clients face.
We serve a diverse client base encompassing debtors, lenders, government entities, trustees, shareholders, senior executives, and distressed debt and asset buyers and investors. We counsel clients on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency/bankruptcy, whether in anticipation of them or in dealing with their consequences.
We advise clients on:
- Acquisition of operational assets or equity interests from distressed companies
- Controlling shareholders in workout situations
- Debt and asset tracing and recovery
- Disposals, including pre-packaged solutions, distressed M&A and real estate workout
- Distressed debt trading
- Financial restructuring (including recapitalisation of companies and rescheduling of borrowings)
- Formal insolvency/bankruptcy procedures and creditor committee representation
- Insolvency/bankruptcy-related investigation, litigation and enforcement
- International restructuring strategy and procedures
- Operational restructuring
- Reorganisations under Thailand's Bankruptcy Act
- Risk management
We advise clients across a wide range of industry sectors and have particular strength in energy, financial services, healthcare, hospitality and leisure, real estate, retail, sports, technology and transportation.
Some significant restructuring matters we have recently worked on include:
- Global FMCG company – Advising a global FMCG company on restructuring its business operations in Thailand, which included mergers and acquisitions, share and asset transfers, employment, tax and internal transfer pricing issues.
- NCR Corporation – Advising NCR Corporation, a global tech company, on a global merger and acquisition project between NCR Corporation and Radiant Systems, Inc. and on the restructuring of its structure for becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCR.
- Sincere Watch Group – Advising Sincere Watch Group, a luxury watch maker, on its shareholder restructuring, its corporation agreement and its share restructuring procedure in Thailand and Hong Kong.
- Swisspark Hotel – Advising a leading manufacturer the on acquisition of and restructuring of the corporate structure of Swisspark Hotel and Grand Nana, including advice on the purchase agreement and tax structure.
- Tata Steel – Advising Tata Steel International on the firm's downsizing, internal business restructuring, assets and labour management for its head office and subsidiaries across Asia Pacific.
- Debt purchase – Advising a Thai investor on the purchase of debts from funds, particularly on existing debts owed by major pulp and paper manufacturer.