Since 2018, DLA Piper has worked with pro bono client Undikumbukire Zambia (UP Zambia), to increase access to justice for children in conflict with the law in Zambia. The team conducted a week-long drive in Copperbelt Province, Zambia, interviewing and documenting the experiences of 115 children in adult prisons. Using the information gained from the drive, the team has worked with the Zambia Judiciary to improve child justice systems and to obtain relief for dozens of children whose right to a timely trial and other rights have been infringed.
The Friendship Bench
We are currently supporting an innovative organization of Zimbabwean psychiatrists to bring its groundbreaking model for grassroots counselling to communities around the world. The Friendship Bench (FB) project is an evidence-based intervention developed in Zimbabwe to bridge the mental health treatment gap.
Training with IMMMA Advocates
In June 2019, our DLA Piper Africa firm in Tanzania, IMMMA Advocates, conducted two public training sessions at the Kibondo Court. The first focused on the role of advocates in access to justice in smooth administration of justice in Tanzania. The second training session looked at the rights of accused or suspected people to be admitted on bail, bail conditions, roles of sureties, consequences if the accused jumps bail and the discharge of sureties. The session, which was delivered to public lawyers, was conducted with Judiciary-Kibondo District Court.
What do we do?
- We advocate and litigate for children's rights.
- We support organizations fighting violence against women.
- We conduct research and advocacy to help refugees and asylum seekers.
- We help organizations that defend wildlife and the environment.
- We help governments and organizations understand and negotiate complex transactions, contracts and regulations.
- We represent indigent clients and public benefit organizations in litigation.
- We litigate and advocate to support civil liberties.
- We support law schools with specialized training for law students.
- We support multinational organizations with multijurisdictional legal research.