In recent years there has been an explosion in large-scale mass litigation taking place across the globe. In the UK, substantive changes to the law, the growth of litigation funding and the focus on enhanced returns for investment in the shadow of the financial crisis has increased the threat of mass litigation, taking three main forms:
- mass claims in the form of various claimants being added to a claim form;
- group litigation orders and representative proceedings; and
- collective redress for anti-competitive activity.
DLA Piper has a strong track record in group litigation, what is now commonly called “Class Actions” and we have represented key clients on landmark cases globally. In the second in a series of films, our Class Actions Group discuss our six predictions for Class Actions in the United Kingdom including:
- data breaches and the introduction of GDPR;
- the growth of litigation funding;
- the continued development of shareholder claims;
- new trends in financial services claims;
- the global scope of product liability claims; and
- the development of Class Actions claims outside of England.
With our global footprint and multi-jurisdictional approach to representing clients we are ideally placed to help you and your clients prevent, mitigate and defend Class Actions.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information.