DLA Piper advised on more than 20 significant in-bound and out-bound US transactions that closed last year on behalf of Israeli institutional investors and companies, as well as foreign investors and acquirers, with an aggregate value of more than US$2 billion. Demonstrating the firm's strong real estate, M&A, private equity and venture capital capabilities throughout the world, coupled with its physical presence and active engagement in the Israeli market, the deals included:
- Prolor Biotech's US$480 million sale to Opko Health
- Alony Hetz Properties' US$330 million investment deal with Carr Properties
- Harel Insurance Company and Menora Mivtachim Insurance's joint US$277 million acquisition of the 57-story IDS Center in Minneapolis, partnering with Beacon Investment Properties
- Fosun Pharma Group's US$240 million acquisition of Alma Lasers, an Israel-based manufacturer of lasers used in cosmetic surgery
- Harel Insurance Company's joint US$187 million acquisition of a 10-story office building on London's Fleet Street, partnering with Ares Commercial Real Estate Group
- Jordache Group, a holding company for the Israeli Nakash Brothers, in its US$109 million acquisition of the historic “Bond Building” in Washington, DC
- Menora Mivtachim Insurance and Phoenix Insurance's joint US$56 million acquisition of the Harmon Meadow office building in New Jersey, partnering with Gaia Real Estate Investments
- TowerJazz's US$50 million joint venture with Panasonic Corporation to acquire its three semiconductor factories in Japan
- Qnergy in its approximately US$20 million acquisition of Infinia Corporation
- Frutarom Industries' US$5.2 million acquisition of South African flavors company JannDeRee
- Israel Chemicals' acquisition of Hagesüd Group, a German producer of premium spice blends and food ingredients for meat processing
The increase in Israeli-US transaction volume follows DLA Piper's strategic decision to develop a global Israel practice nearly five years ago, led by partner Jeremy Lustman, who spends much of his time in Israel and oversees a significant number of key relationships covering virtually all sectors of the Israeli economy. The firm currently represents over 100 clients in Israel and has advised Israeli companies and investors across more than 35 different jurisdictions.
In 2013, DLA Piper hosted its inaugural Israeli Global Private Equity and Global Real Estate conferences in Tel Aviv, which focused on the trends, perspectives and future outlook of those markets in the US, Europe and Asia Pacific.