DLA Piper hosted its 4th annual Israeli Global Real Estate Conference on April 4, 2016, at the Royal Beach Hotel in Tel Aviv. The event focused on trends, perspectives and real estate's outlook in the US, Europe, and Asia Pacific, and featured keynote speaker Jay Zwiebel, executive managing director of Harbor Group International, along with marquee panelists from Fortis Property Group (NY), Macquarie Capital (Sydney), Market Tech Holdings (London), Silverstein Properties (NY), Azrieli Group (Israel), Berlin Hyp (Berlin), Psagot Investment House (Israel), Cushman & Wakefield (Rome), and Amitim Senior Pension Funds (Israel).
More than 130 people attended the standing-room only event, including many of Israel's elite real estate investors with investments abroad, along with investors, real estate professionals and DLA Piper partners from Italy, Germany, France, the UK, the US, and Australia.
"The event was a great success, and showcased the strong ties we have to the global real estate community," said Jeremy Lustman, head of DLA Piper's Israel Country Group. "Beyond this extraordinary event, our solid relationships with the local business and investment community along with our proactive engagement and physical presence in the market, have led to increased deal activity and expansion of our practice. We look forward for what the future holds throughout 2016 and beyond."
This comes on the heels of an increased level of volume in Israel-related transactions in 2015. The firm advised on 32 significant foreign transactions in 2015 on behalf of Israeli institutional investors and companies, as well as foreign investors and acquirers, with an aggregate value of more than US$4 billion.
Those figures surpassed 2014 totals, when DLA Piper advised on 27 similar transactions with an aggregate value of more than US$2.5 billion.
Deal highlights include:
- Fourteen real estate deals that collectively exceeded US$2.5 billion, including several London-based transactions on behalf of Teddy Sagi’s Market Tech Holdings, as well as non-public U.S. deals on behalf of Israeli investors in six states.
- Nine M&A transactions spanning the US, the UK, China, and Israel that collectively exceeded US$1.3 billion, including Comverse’s acquisition of Acision; Amdoc’s acquisition of Comverse's business support systems unit; Nova Measuring’s acquisition of ReVera Incorporated; and Japan's Kurita Water Industries' acquisition of ICL's APW.
- Seven fund investments for Israeli institutions for a total of more than US$300 million.
In addition to the successful real estate conference, DLA Piper's Israel Country Group also hosted and sponsored several high-level events during 2015 and the first quarter of 2016. These events were focused on bridging the needs of the Israeli business community and the firm’s resources around the world.
The events included:
- A Global Privacy Forum in Tel Aviv about practical insights facing global privacy and data protection challenges (which included the participation of our DLA colleague from Belgium).
- Two Global Labor and Employment forums in Tel Aviv that explored the latest hot button labor and employment issues facing Israeli companies both in Israel, the U.S. and around the world (which included the participation of DLA colleagues from the US, UK, Germany, and France).
- A Global Compliance Event that featured DLA Piper’s dramatic film, "At What Cost?" and focused on a number of real-world legal and regulatory issues facing growing companies both in Israel and in the United States (which included the participation of DLA colleagues from the US).
Consisting of over 100 lawyers throughout the United States, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and Australia, DLA Piper's Israel Country Group is led by Tel Aviv-based partner Lustman and London-based partner Paul Jayson. The group has represented more than 160 Israeli companies in the last few years, from start-ups to some of the country's largest corporations in their global activities, as well as more than 150 multinational clients seeking opportunities within Israel.
Chambers Global 2016 recognized DLA Piper for its corporate/M&A presence in Israel and Lustman for his work with Israeli businesses and investors on international corporate transactions as well as multinational clients on their strategic activities in the jurisdiction.