In the UK, we have a broad team of over 100 lawyers who bring best of breed experience in a number of areas and sectors. A small example of our experience includes:
- Contracts - we lead the market in advising Government on major contracts, such as outsourcing, shared service and joint ventures. We have advised Cabinet Office and other Departments on three complex outsourcing shared services projects by way of joint venture (i) Shared Services Connected Limited - a pan-HMG back office joint venture service delivery vehicle to transform existing services to a shared platform for over 12 Government Departments; (ii) Integrated Debt Services Limited - provision of a one-stop-shop for Government providing debt analysis and collection; and (iii) Crown Hosting - establishment of a portfolio of "on demand" hosting services at different levels of accreditation. We have also advised on many day-to-day contracts such as advice to on management services agreements by which Government companies provide services to third parties. We have also advised a Government Department for many years on the establishment of multiple and varied frameworks, including travel services, non-permanent staff, energy metering, consultancy services, fleet and office supplies. This included advice on precedent contracts and variations, transfers and interpretation of contract provisions.
- Competition law - Our Competition team has been on hand to advise a variety of public sector clients over recent years on a range of competition law issues which arise during the course of Government projects. We act on a full range of non-contentious and contentious Competition/Antitrust matters, including commercial agreements, abuse of dominance, behavioural and strategic advice, multi-jurisdictional and national merger control, competition investigations and enforcement, including cartel related work, compliance audits and programs, including dawn raid training, competition litigation, competition regulatory matters and State Aid.
- Corporate - Our intimate knowledge of corporate law is applied with significant Government sector knowledge. We are trusted advisors to Government, having acted on some of the most complex and innovative transactions undertaken in the public sector in recent years, including we on a multi-million pound acquisition of a designer and supplier of specialist vehicles and protection system integrations to various Government Departments.
- Dispute Resolution - We have worked with Government over many years and therefore we bring, for both public and private sector clients, a deep understanding of how Government litigates and how it decides when not to litigate. Our team has very close links to our commercial and contracting colleagues to provide seamless advice if on-going contracts become contentious. Above all, we have access to the resource and expertise of one of the largest dispute resolution practices in the world.
- Employment - Our team advises both public and private sector employers on a daily basis on the application of TUPE (and COSOP where appropriate) in the context of first and subsequent generation outsourcings, as well as on sales and acquisitions and a multitude of other projects in between. We have a wealth of experience in dealing with complex redundancy and restructuring programmes for many of our clients. We are used to dealing with a high level of media and employee/trade union scrutiny on the way in which these exercises are handled. We frequently advise on strategy for managing changes to terms and conditions of employment, in both unionised and non-unionised environments, and have particular expertise in the options for dealing with changes in the shadow of a TUPE transfer. We are experienced in handling industrial relations issues and are proud to work on ground-breaking projects.
- Real Estate - We have a wide range of experience in advising on core Real Estate, Real Estate Finance and Real Estate Litigation matters. We have previously advised various Government Departments on the acquisition and fit out of properties, projects to make buildings available for use by SMEs, sales and advising on shared space/collaborative agreements.