Our Japan restructuring team, based in Tokyo, represents clients globally and locally. Our extensive experience and understanding of the local restructuring market means we are well-placed to represent multinational clients who are involved in local bankruptcy proceedings or who are considering the acquisition of distressed assets and companies. We regularly file local bankruptcy proceedings for clients who have global operations and therefore need multi-jurisdictional representation. We also advise Japanese companies on overseas insolvency proceedings.
Our restructuring team in Japan is part of our Global Restructuring Group, which is one of the world's leaders. With dedicated restructuring lawyers across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we have the knowledge, experience and resources to address our clients' restructuring and insolvency needs on a national and international basis. Around the world, our specialist restructuring lawyers 'on the ground' have extensive knowledge of local markets and the associated challenges our clients face.
We serve a diverse client base encompassing financial institutions, financial advisors/accountants, corporates, trustees/custodians, private equity funds, shareholders and distressed debt funds/investors. We counsel clients on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency/bankruptcy, whether in anticipation of them or in dealing with their consequences.
We advise clients on:
- Bankruptcy proceedings under Japanese law
- Debt and asset tracing and recovery
- Disposals, including pre-packaged solutions, distressed M&A and real estate workout
- Financial and operational restructuring
- Formal insolvency/bankruptcy procedures and creditor representations
- Insolvency/bankruptcy-related investigation, litigation and enforcementInternational restructuring strategy and procedures
We advise clients across a wide range of industry sectors and have particular strength in energy, financial services, healthcare, hospitality and leisure, real estate, retail, sports, technology and transportation.
Some significant restructuring matters we have recently worked on include:
- 363 – Advising a Japanese high-tech company on the bidding process and acquisition of a Japanese corporation in a chapter 11 proceeding that its parent company was filing for.
- Lender – Advising lenders on a debtor-in-possession facility provided in connection with the chapter 11 filing of a global telecommunication company.
- Credit card processing servicer – Advising a credit card processing servicer on the workout of credit card receivables issues and deposits relating to the Japanese Airlines insolvency proceedings.
- Bond issuer – Advising a bond issuer on strategic and operating issues arising out of Lehman Brothers' civil rehabilitation filing where Lehman was a bondholder in connection with their joint real estate development transaction.
- Movie Television Inc. – Advising a major film company with respect to its local distributor's civil rehabilitation proceedings and restructuring of its licensing arrangements.
- Mycal – Advising a multinational media company in connection with its joint venture partner's corporate reorganisation proceedings in Japan and potential joint venture restructuring in response to the proceedings.