Retail continues to undergo constant disruption. Consumers are becoming more powerful. Experiential shopping, shifting attitudes about shopping, redevelopment opportunities, the growing dominance of e-commerce, pop-up stores, off-price retailing and the need for supply chain improvements are major trends reshaping the retail industry. To remain competitive, retailers are facing the need to significantly change.
In this competitive, swiftly evolving environment, sophisticated business clients want lawyers who understand their business, anticipate legal problems, know how others in their industry are addressing emerging issues, find out what regulators and accounting professionals think about those issues, and give efficient, business-oriented answers to a question the first time it is asked. DLA Piper believes that this ability to advise retail clients is only developed through extensive industry involvement, a sharp understanding of developing trends, and a determination to provide high-quality, seamless service.
Our firm's sector approach is critical to tackling the needs of retailers and is a key reason why retail companies seeking a strategic partner in the legal arena turn to DLA Piper.
Our Retail sector includes nearly 200 lawyers in North America with experience in diverse, highly relevant areas of practice. The sector team offers a matrix of services that retailers consider critical to their success:
- Strategic advice: general corporate advice and outside general counsel experience
- Brand management and protection: advertising, trademark, copyright licensing, anti-counterfeiting
- Channel management: distribution, franchise, e-commerce, privacy
- Corporate and finance: M&A, securities, debt finance, taxation
- Cybersecurity, e-commerce, privacy and data protection: Helping businesses keep up with critical, fast-changing data protection laws and create, manage and maintain a secure cyber DNA in the face of escalating threats and legal requirements, in-house turnover and a shift in the duty of care
- Franchising and distribution: We are the top franchise practice in the world. Many of the world’s largest and most innovative retailers, restaurant chains, hotels and service providers rely on us to help them establish franchise or related distribution systems and navigate their expansion into new markets
- Government affairs: We have one of the top government affairs practices in the US, representing clients before governments and administrative organizations on a broad array of public policy, legislative, regulatory and administrative issues
- Infrastructure services: human resources, IT sourcing, outsourcing
- Employment: employment counseling and advice, defense and prosecution of bet-the-company litigation
- Litigation: consumer class actions, brand/IP litigation, product liability • International needs: cross-border taxation, transactions, sourcing, branding
- Real estate: leasing, land use and zoning, construction, warehouse and distribution facilities
- Regulatory: packaging and labeling, permitting/licensing, product recalls, children’s products, California Prop 65, food, beverage, and alcohol retail sales, supply chain implications
- Restructuring: reorganizations, distressed asset sales and purchases, restructuring analysis and alternatives advice
- Tax: tax planning, structuring, audit defense both locally and globally
The DLA Piper difference
Among the advantages that DLA Piper delivers to retail companies:
- Extensive industry experience: We have decades of practical multidisciplinary experience representing retailers. Our industry focus enables us to deliver responsive, cost-effective counsel and our familiarity with recurring and industry-wide matters fosters best practices and economies of scale.
- Your mission-critical areas are our leading practices: With vast global reach, our firm offers a valuable combination of leading practices in areas of critical importance to retailers.
- National and global market presence: Our extensive marketplace presence – local knowledge within a global platform – means clients receive responsive, consistent and seamless representation, wherever they do business. We provide focused teams that concentrate their legal practice on offering retail companies a combination of local, regional, national and global services. In North America, we are coast to coast in key markets. Globally, we have offices in the world's largest consumer markets, as well as in the leading low-cost manufacturing markets.
- We are aware of key emerging issues: We anticipate and promptly advise on important developments affecting the retail sector, such as:
- Privacy of consumer information
- Real estate leasing trends risk management
- Food-consumption and supply chain litigation developments
- Product liability and class action
- Business process outsourcing trends
- Changing labor and employment laws
- Proposed legislation or regulation affecting the industry
- International branding and tax planning trends