DLA Piper's dedicated US restructuring lawyers address our clients' needs whenever and wherever they arise on a timely, cost-effective basis. With lawyers in offices across the US, our team has in-depth experience representing and advising companies experiencing financing difficulties, purchasers of and investors in distressed companies, and lenders to and creditors of such companies on complex business reorganizations, troubled company M&A, debt restructurings and financing matters.
DLA Piper can also draw on its network of business lawyers in offices across the US to advise on fiduciary, regulatory, employment, insurance, tax and other matters arising in a restructuring.
- Handle assignments from the mid-market to the largest national and international restructurings and insolvencies
- Represent distressed public and private companies, boards, lenders, investors and creditors with respect to in-court and out-of-court restructurings, including exchange offers, pre-packaged, pre-negotiated and traditional bankruptcy cases
- Have extensive experience in both the boardroom and the courtroom throughout the country
- Provide knowledge in a wide array of industries, including energy, financial services, health care, hospitality and leisure, real estate, retail, technology and transportation sectors
- Abengoa US Holding LLC and affiliates, the US unit of Spanish renewable energy company Abengoa SA, in its chapter 11 and chapter 15 petitions in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in Wilmington. Also represented US Abengoa SA with the approved sale of five ethanol plants in Indiana, Illinois and Nebraska for more than US$355 million.
- Capitol Lakes, a CCRC operator, in its chapter 11 case confirmed in the US Bankruptcy Court in Madison over the lenders’ objection after a multi-day contested hearing
- Katy Industries, Inc., manufacturer and distributor of commercial cleaning and consumer storage products, in its chapter 11 case in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware and subsequent stalking-horse bid
- Vertellus Specialties Inc., specialty chemical manufacturer, in its chapter 11 bankruptcy case and subsequent asset sale to Valencia Bidco LLC, a new entity formed by the Company’s existing term loan lenders
- Alco Stores Inc., the discount general merchandise retailer, in its chapter 11 case in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas in Dallas
- Authentic Brands Group, LLC that led the consortium that won the bankruptcy auction worth $243.3 million for Aéropostale Inc., potentially saving 229 of the teen apparel retailer’s stores and preventing a complete liquidation in connection with its chapter 11 case in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- Authentic Brands Group, LLC as a purchaser of the e-commerce business of Frederick's of Hollywood Inc. in connection with its chapter 11 case in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware in Wilmington
- Burch Acquisition Vehicle as a purchaser of the intellectual property and certain other assets of C. Wonder in connection with its chapter 11 case in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey in Trenton
- ACR Energy Partners, LLC, the largest trade creditor of Revel AC, Inc. and its affiliated debtors, in Revel's chapter 11 cases in the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey in Camden
- Boston Finance Group LLC, one of the largest secured and unsecured creditors and Chairman of the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, in the chapter 11 bankruptcy cases of Revstone Industries, LLC and certain of its affiliates, a leading designer and manufacturer of highly engineered components for the automotive industry
- US and cross-border counsel to the Nortel Networks Canadian Creditors Committee in the multi-nation insolvency proceedings of Nortel's Canadian parent and its US and EMEA affiliates, including their dispute over how $7.3 billion in global asset sale proceeds should be allocated among them
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of RAAM Global Energy Co., a privately held oil and natural gas exploration and production company, filed in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston