DLA Piper's Food and Beverage practice is a multi-disciplinary, multi-jurisdictional team focused on meeting the legal needs of the food and beverage industry, including the pet food industry.
We represent a variety of clients, ranging from individuals and start-ups to large multinational corporations, operating at all stages of the food supply chain. We understand the legal confines within which the industry operates in Canada, and its unique business risks and opportunities.
From product conceptualization and development to licensing, manufacturing, marketing, distribution expansion and the purchase and sale of a business, members of our practice have extensive experience assisting both domestic and foreign clients at every stage of a company and product’s life cycle.
We advise food and beverage clients on:
- Regulatory matters, including approval pathways for novel foods, new food additives new health claims, compositional standards for foods and beverages
- The development and impact of new legislation and regulations, including the Safe Food for Canadians Act and Health Canada’s modernization initiative
- Food safety requirements and consumer protection issues
- Handling recalls, including development of business continuity / crisis management plans, protecting reputation through management and containment of recalls and advocacy before regulatory authorities to resolve recall-related issues
- Advertising, marketing and labelling, including nutrition labeling requirements, the use of nutrient content and health claims, the use of composition, quality and origin claims, the requirements for allergen labeling and meeting Canadian bilingual label requirements
- Obtaining and using intellectual property, including patents, trade-marks, copyright and trade secrets
- Litigation, including product liability, class actions, misrepresentation, passing off and breach of contract
- Commercial agreements relating to production, supply and distribution, manufacturing, and licensing
- Mergers and acquisitions of food-related businesses, including entire franchise systems
- Financing and corporate organization
- Privacy law
- Competition and antitrust matters
- Labour and employment matters, including workplace and worker safety
- Taxation issues
- Transportation issues
- Import and export, including procedures and inspection requirements
Members of the practice have appeared before Health Canada’s Food Directorate and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Members of our team are fluent in French, contributing to our ability to advise on and assist with bilingual labeling requirements. We write and speak extensively on matters of interest to the food and beverage industry (particularly in the area of food safety) and often make important connections for clients to other members of industry.