Our dedicated restructuring team based in Ukraine advises local and international clients on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency, whether in anticipation of them or in dealing with their consequences.
We work closely with specialist lawyers in our Finance, Corporate, Tax and Real Estate practices to offer a full service provision to our clients. We serve a diverse client base encompassing financial institutions, financial advisors/accountants, corporates, trustees/custodians, private equity funds, shareholders, distressed debt funds/investors, bondholders/loan note holders and creditors' committees.
Our restructuring team in Ukraine is part of our Global Restructuring Group, which is one of the world's leaders. With dedicated restructuring lawyers across the Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East, we have the knowledge, experience and resources to address our clients' restructuring and insolvency needs on a national and international basis. Around the world, our experienced restructuring lawyers 'on the ground' have extensive knowledge of local markets and the associated challenges our clients face.
We advise clients on:
- Debt and asset tracing and recovery
- Disposals, including pre-packaged solutions, distressed M&A and real estate workout
- Distressed debt trading
- Financial restructuring
- Formal insolvency/bankruptcy procedures and creditor committee representation
- Insolvency/bankruptcy-related investigation, litigation and enforcement
- International restructuring strategy and procedures
- Operational restructuring
We advise clients across a wide range of industry sectors and have particular strength in energy, financial services, healthcare, hospitality and leisure, real estate, retail, sports, technology and transportation.
Some significant restructuring matters we have recently worked on include:
- Donetsksteel - Advising Donetsksteel, one of the largest Ukrainian industrial groups and principal steel producers, on the restructuring of its debt portfolio (estimated at US$ 850 million). The portfolio included a creditors’ pool of more than 30 domestic and global banks. Our work included full-scope representation, involving the coordination of all parties, drafting various UK- and Ukrainian-law documents, providing advice for successful completion of the deal and participating in negotiations with the lenders.
- Apollo Real Estate Advisors and 1849 plc - Advising an Apollo Real Estate Advisors and 1849 plc joint venture on all aspects of the corporate reorganisation of the client's Ukrainian assets by means of an upstream merger between the two Ukrainian companies. The deal involved the transfer of title to the affected real estate assets, full legal support throughout the restructuring process, the implementation of a debt push down strategy and in-depth tax advice.
- East Balt - Providing full legal support to East Balt, an international bakery business, in its sale to One Equity Partners (OEP), the private investment arm of JP Morgan Chase & Co. As part of the deal we advised on the pre-transactional corporate restructuring of the business in Ukraine.
- Global manufacturer - Advising a global quartz-plated goods producer on its pre-IPO restructuring and the associated implementation. We worked on the transfer of corporate shareholdings in a number of jurisdictions across the globe, including the US, the Netherlands, Spain, Malta, British Virgin Islands, the Netherlands Antilles and Ukraine.
- Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd (Japan) - Advising Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd. on restructuring the debts of a well-known Ukrainian bank (value over US$ 400 million).
- Retail and financial services sector client - Advising a large Ukrainian group of companies, involved in development, retail trade and financial services, on the restructuring of its group. The asset value exceeded hundreds of millions US dollars. Our work combined the efforts of other DLA Piper offices around the world.
- Steel and machinery manufacturer - Representing more than 20 international and local financial creditors in respect of the restructuring of one of the largest Ukrainian steel and machinery producers' debts. The total debt held by the borrower’s group amounts to more than US$ 500 million. The project comprised full-scope representation of creditors in the course of financial restructuring, including due diligence of the borrower group, inter-creditor relationships and advising on standstill arrangements, as well as the restructuring itself.