Keri L. BennettCounsel
Keri Bennett provides strategic advice and representation to public and private sector clients in all areas of privacy, access to information and workplace law matters.
Keri builds strong relationships with her clients and works collaboratively with them to find practical solutions to their legal issues. She advises on development of privacy programs and procedures, privacy impact assessments, information sharing agreements, consent requirements, and statutory breach notification obligations. Keri assists clients in compliance with access to information obligations while managing litigation risks. She regularly represents clients in complaints, inquiries and other matters before provincial and federal information and privacy commissioners.
Keri also advises employers on all stages of the employment relationship. She drafts employment agreements and effective workplace policies, advises on workplace accommodations, bullying and harassment, employee monitoring, social media, discipline and terminations. As a litigator, Keri has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, B.C. Supreme Court and Court of Appeal. Keri also has experience in the unionized workplace, interpreting collective agreements and advising employers on matters that arise under the Labour Relations Code.
Keri is certified by the Information and Privacy Professionals Association (IAPP/C), past Chair of the CBA Freedom of Information and Privacy Law Section (BC Branch) and an executive member of the Canadian Association of Counsel for Employers privacy committee. Keri regularly speaks and writes on privacy law issues and is recognized in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for Data Protection and Privacy and in the 2022 special edition and Technology & Health Sciences as well as Best Lawyers in Canada.
- Represented public body in multiple matters before the B.C. Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner filed by employees, media and other third parties. Successful defence of requests for review, inquiries and complaints.
- Advised private sector client on development of global privacy program, including issues regarding location of data storage and data transfer requirements.
- Successful defence of privacy complaint to the OIPC alleging overcollection of personal information arising from video surveillance.
- Advised on grievance and successful defence of grievance.
- Advised non-profit organization collecting highly sensitive medical information on the development of comprehensive privacy program, including strategy, policies, workflow and risks relating to collection of children’s personal information, capacity and consent issues.
- Advised public body on overhaul of privacy program and management of regular FOI requests.
- Advise on statutory notification obligations arising from breach of personal information.
- Advise public body on information sharing agreements, management of employee and third party information, development of policies.
- Successful defence of complaint to the OIPC alleging over collection of medical information.
- ICBC and BC Hydro and Powertech v. CUPE, 2021 BCLRB 181.
- Demsky v. Bentall Kennedy Group and others, 2018 BCHRT 257.
- Aubrey v. Teck Highland Valley Copper, 2017 BCCA 144.
- Teck Highland Valley Copper v United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union, Local 7619, 2015 CanLII 79419.
- B.F.A., University of Regina, 1996
- J.D., University of Toronto, 2010
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Data Protection & Privacy), 2022-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, Technology and Health Sciences Special Edition, 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Privacy and Data Security Law), 2023
Publications and media
- B.C. Employment Standards Act Quick Reference (Gavin Marshall, Ryan Copeland and Keri Bennett), Thompson Reuters (2019-2023 Editions)
- Practical Law, IT and Communications Systems Policy Q&A (Keri Bennett, Danny Bernstein and Chris Munroe), Thompson Reuters
- Review of clinics writes prescription for protection of privacy. Business in Vancouver (Keri Bennett and Janna Crown) (December 20, 2019)
- More risky business for employers: new data breach regulations, Business in Vancouver (October 5, 2018)
- Best ways for business to manage the new social media minefield, Business in Vancouver (June 6, 2018)
- Speaker, “Privacy and Surveillance Technology Issues”, Employment Law Masterclass West, November 1, 2022
- Chair, “Privacy - Data Breaches: How to Prepare for the Worst and Get Through the Rest”, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers Conference, September 23, 2022
- Moderator, “Access to Information in the Digital Age”, Canadian Bar Association Webinar, September 22, 2022
- Speaker, “Employee Privacy in Canada” Employment Law Alliance (ELA) podcast, part of the ELA Employment Matters podcast series, April 27, 2021
- Panelist, “An In House Guide to Privacy and Access Law”, Canadian Bar Association Webinar, February 20, 2020
- Chair, CBA BC Privacy Law Conference 2019
- Panelist, “Canadian Update”, CBA Access to Information and Privacy Law Symposium, October 18-19, 2019
- Panelist, “The business impact of changes to privacy laws”, BC Legal Innovation Forum, November 2019
- Panelist, “Workplace Privacy in a Digital Age,” Foundational Cases and Recent Developments, October, 2019
- Speaker, “Privacy Issues in the Labour and Employment Context”, CLEBC, May 2018
- Panelist, “Drones in Privacy”, Reboot, Privacy and Security Conference, February 2017
COVID takes toll on Canada’s democracy as information flow slows: experts, Business in Vancouver, January 8, 2021
Shift Happens: When does an employee’s online behaviour outside the workplace cross the line? BC Business, January 12, 2021
B.C. looking at amending, updating legislation on protection of personal information, The Lawyer’s Daily, June 8, 2020
Memberships and Affiliations
- Past Chair and Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association – B.C, Freedom of Information + Privacy Law Section
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association – National, Access to Information + Privacy Law Section (2017-2021)
- Privacy Committee Executive, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Law Society of British Columbia
- International Association of Privacy Professionals