Venus CheungSenior Associate
Venus is a data and technology lawyer who focuses on data protection, technology transactions, IT regulatory, and general commercial issues. She has extensive experience across advising international businesses around day-to-day data protection compliance, IT operations, procurement, and supplier due diligence, as well as navigating the complex data and IT regulatory frameworks under the China and other APAC jurisdictions.
Venus regularly assists clients in devising and designing data and IT infrastructure compliance programs with a commercial approach. She has an ability to make the complex simple and understand the strategic objectives of a deal.
Venus also has experience in advising telecoms clients and other IT companies throughout Asia Pacific, on a spectrum of matters including software development, product licensing and regulatory compliance on network and connectivity products, arrangements to roll out new technologies, cloud computing and data centre services, value-added telecommunication services licenses (VATS), and other telecoms licensing requirements in APAC jurisdictions.
- Advising a major US technology, software and services company on its APAC privacy and marketing programme, serving as the strategic partner to the company and the ‘go to’ legal counsel for APAC data privacy, marketing, data residency, data centre and data localization matters.
- Advising a number of insurance companies on all aspects of information collection and handling processes and its approach to compliance with the new cybersecurity and privacy laws and associated regulations in Asia.
- Advising a global commercial real estate services company on its China data and security compliance program including a data mapping exercise with regard to its data processing activities in China.
- Advising an international large manufacturer of electronics products on their first-generation outsourcing and operations.
- Advising a number of multinational software and professional services company in negotiations and advising on service agreements for the provision of software and services.
- Advising a major US technology, software and services company to devise optimal corporate and operations structure and setting up a strategic joint venture alliance for their Asia market expansion, assisting in reviewing and negotiating a range of commercial agreements.
- Advising a multinational computer software company on the sales engagement of its cloud-based digital marketing and data analytics solutions to a leading PRC telecommunications equipment manufacturer.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- University of Warwick, LLB
- China: Draft SCCs Released - Time to Focus on Overseas Data Transfers, 4 July 2022
- China Data Privacy: New rules on use of algorithms for digital business, data analytics and decision-making, 19 January 2022
- Navigating China Episode 20: PIPL has finally arrived, bringing helpful clarification (rather than substantial change) to China’s data privacy framework, 24 August 2021
- Navigating China Episode 19: China’s new Data Security Law: what multinational businesses need to know, 22 June 2021
- Episode 18: Increased scrutiny over connected car and automobile industry data from Chinese regulators, including push towards data localisation, 4 June 2021
- Navigating China Episode 17: China’s Draft Privacy and Security Laws, 4 May 2021
- Episode 16: New data classifications and data localisation for financial institutions in China, 21 April 2021
- 探索中国第15章: 综合性电子商务新规落地, 25 March 2021
My latest insights
Navigating China Episode 20: PIPL has finally arrived, bringing helpful clarification...
23 August 2021 .39 minute read
Navigating China Episode 19: China’s new Data Security Law: what multinational businesses...
21 June 2021 .8 minute read