Tania Da SilvaPartner
Tania Da Silva practises in the area of employment law, commercial litigation and class actions, and compliance with French language, consumer protection and privacy requirements.
Tania has a general management-side employment law practice. She advises employers operating in Quebec on all manner of workplace issues, including advising on employment standards and human rights at the Quebec provincial level and at the federal level; conducting and advising on workplace investigations; pay equity requirements and compliance; workplace health and safety; attendance management and the duty to accommodate; drafting and reviewing employment contracts, employment policy manuals, and codes of conduct; hiring, progressive discipline and termination of employees; training of employees on company policies, anti-harassment and discrimination, and occupational health and safety; complying with French language requirements and assistance with handling Office de la langue française investigations and/or complaints. Tania is frequently called upon to lead the employment work in mergers and acquisitions transactions, by coordinating and conducting employment due diligence, providing insight and feedback on purchase and sale agreements, as well as executive employment agreements and other human resources matters
Tania has defended clients in wrongful dismissal and prohibited practices claims before the Tribunal Administratif du Travail and in mediations and conciliations at the Commission des normes de l'équité de la santé et de la sécurité du travail. She has also counselled clients with enforcement of restrictive covenants through litigation.
In addition to the litigation aspects of her Employment practice listed above, Tania also has a general commercial litigation practice, which consists of representing clients in a wide range of civil suits. She has acted in litigation involving manufacturer’s liability, enforcing of securities, claims for reasonable notice of termination and contractual disputes. She also has a strong class action practice acting exclusively as defence counsel, specifically in competition law private actions, Civil Code of Québec and Consumer Protection Act actions. Tania has appeared before the Court of Québec, the Superior Court of Québec and the Court of Appeal of Québec.
- Quebec counsel in defence of proposed class actions involving alleged anticompetitive conduct in respect of the supply of transport contracts for long-haul passenger flights, Automobile Parts, DRAM, SRAM, ODD, Capacitors, Lithium Ion Batteries, Ocean Shipping Services and Smart Card Chips;
- Quebec counsel in defence of proposed class actions involving alleged breach of Quebec’s Consumer Protection Act by online ticket resale marketplaces;
- Quebec counsel in defence of proposed class action asserting personal injury claims stemming from alleged opioid abuse;
- Quebec counsel in defence of proposed class action asserting allegations with respect to product defects in certain vehicles;
- Quebec counsel in defence of proposed class action asserting diesel emissions and fuel efficiency misrepresentations;
- Quebec employment counsel to multinational companies operating in a variety of industries, including pharmaceutical, sporting goods, technology/video game, medical products, lighting, electronics, mining, automotive parts and manufacturing industries.
- LL.L, University of Ottawa, 2008
- LL.B., University of Ottawa, 2007
- B.Sc.Soc., Concentration in criminology, University of Ottawa, 2004
- "Quebec Investigating Employers for Pay Equity Obligations", republished in Employment and Labour Law Reporter, June, 2015.
- Speaker, Returning to the workplace after the COVID-19 pandemic, Webinar, May 2020
- Speaker, 2019 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference (Toronto)
- Speaker, 2017 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference (Toronto)
- Speaker, 2015 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference (Montréal)
- Speaker, 2012 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Canadian Employment and Labour Law Conference (Montréal)
- Quoted, "How does Bill 96 impact Quebec employers?" Canadian HRReporter, June 2, 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Young Bar Association of Montréal
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Ellimist Singapore on series of significant pharmaceutical M&A...
13 October 2023 .3 minute read