Dr Dietmar Schulz LL.M.Partner
Very competent, comprehensive advice.
Dr Dietmar Schulz has extensive experience in the field of cross-border restructurings (financial and corporate), NPL, Special Situations and distressed M&A. Dietmar advises financial institutions, investors and debtors.
Dietmar is Co-Chair of the global Restructuring Group of DLA Piper. His team is part of one of the largest group of restructuring lawyers in the world.
- Advising a German bank in relation to its exposure towards insolvent Thomas Cook and Condor.
- Advising the insolvency administrator of BEV-Bayerische Energieversorgungsgesellschaft in relation to the sale of the business.
- Advising Italian Ricchetti Group in the restructuring and sale of its German business.
- Advising the debtor-in-possession administrator (Eigenverwalter) of Holzverpackung Hüfingen on the sale of the business in Germany, Spain and Poland to strategic investor Pilous.
- Advising on the acquisition of Dutch Propertize Bank by a bidder consortium of Lone Star and JP Morgan.
- Advising domestic and international financial institutions on the work-out and exit of distressed loan assets, inter alia, UniCredit Bank, Rabobank, Glitnir Bank Luxembourg and ING Bank.
- Acting as a foreign law expert to the High Court of Justice and advising the European Commission as Legal Expert in relation to selected questions of German/International insolvency law.
- Universities of Heidelberg and Cambridge
- Freie Universität Berlin, Ph.D.
- University of Edinburgh, LL.M.
- JUVE Handbook 2022/2023: Frequently recommended for insolvency and restructuring; ”very competent, comprehensive advice”, client (2021/2022)
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for restructuring and insolvency: restructuring; “Well connected in the industry, professionally top notch, good mediator.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recommended for restructuring and insolvency
- WirtschaftsWoche 2020: Recommended as “top lawyer” for restructuring
Dr Dietmar Schulz has written numerous articles and co-authored books on insolvency law and he is recommended by legal directories such as JUVE in the fields of restructuring and insolvency..
- 2015 - "Apcoa – Grenzen der Anerkennung des Scheme of Arrangement nach Änderung der Rechtswahlklausel", in ZIP 2015, 1912.
- 2014 - Regarding the internal settlement of claims in a civil law company - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 4 June 2013 - II ZR 207/10, in WuB II J § 705 BGB 1.14.
- 24 May 2013 - Regarding the assignment of restitution claims deriving from contestation in insolvency proceedings, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 10 January 2013 - IX ZR 172/11, in EWiR 2013, p. 329 et seqq.
- 25 January 2013 - Disadvantaging of creditors, order for payment of debt respectively loans, -remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 21 June 2012 - IX ZR 59/11, in WuB 2013, p. 63 et seqq.
- September 2012 - The obligation of a liquidator of a German public limited company (Aktiengesellschaft) after its dismissal to point out matters of high importance to its successor, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 28 February 2012 - II ZR 244/10, in WuB 2012, p. 527 et seqq.
- 17 November 2011 - shareholder liability, accessory liability, measure of proportional liability, - remarks to District Court of Berlin (Kammergericht), 22 December 2010 - 26 U 232, in WuB 2011, p. 659 et seqq.
- 16 August 2011 - Validity of assignments of loan claims, inter alia, to non-bank, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 19.04.2011 - XI ZR 256/10, in EWiR 2011, p. 521 et seqq.
- 21 October 2010 - More rights to investors in case of liquidation of open funds, guest article in Börsen Zeitung, no. 203, p. 2.
- 16 July 2010 - Assignee's formal enforcement proceeding of a claim securing land charge by title of a submission clause only by entering into to the security agreement - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 30 March 2010 - XI ZR 200/09, in EWiR 2010, p. 409 et seqq.
- 11 June 2010 - Insurance agreements regarding outstanding loan and residual debt as connected contracts, - remarks to German Federal Court of Justice (BGH), 15 December 2009 - XI ZR 45/09, in EWiR 2010, p. 351 et seqq.
Dietmar joined DLA Piper in December 2012. Previously, he worked for leading law firms in London, Frankfurt and Munich since 2000 (since 2007 as a Partner).
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the German lawyers' association, sub-group insolvency and restructuring
- Insol Europe
- Member of TMA Deutschland
My latest insights
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 98 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
16 June 2023 .2 minute read
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read