Mark D. WhitakerPartner
Co-Chair, Sports, Media and Entertainment Finance and Transactions
Mark Whitaker has extensive experience in the sports industry, having represented clients in various capacities in financing, corporate, development and commercial matters involving teams of the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the National Hockey League, Major League Soccer, Italy’s Serie A, England’s Premier League, the Netherlands’ Eredivisie and the NCAA.
Mark has been instrumental in a number of high-profile new stadium and arena projects, both domestically and internationally. Representative projects include facilities for the Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, San Francisco 49ers, New York Jets, New York Giants and New England Patriots; the Milwaukee Bucks, Sacramento Kings, Brooklyn Nets and Orlando Magic; the Texas Rangers, Atlanta Braves, Minnesota Twins, New York Yankees and New York Mets; the Los Angeles Football Club, Philadelphia Union and Orlando City SC; AS Roma, Tottenham Hotspur and Feyenoord Rotterdam; and DePaul University.
In addition to his facility finance and development experience, Mark has been integrally involved in transactions relating to the Chicago Cubs, the Los Angeles Chargers, the Nashville MLS expansion franchise, the Los Angeles Dodgers, the Ottawa Senators and the National Football League.
Mark also has broad experience with transactions involving public infrastructure, including transportation infrastructure; convention centers and hotels; museums, colleges, universities and other section 501(c)(3) organizations; solid waste disposal facilities; power generation facilities; affordable housing facilities; manufacturing facilities; and shopping centers.
- J.D., Yale Law School
- A.B., Duke University
Phi Beta Kappa
magna cum laude
- Chambers USA
- Band 2, Nationwide Sports Law (2014-2023)
- Band 3, Nationwide Sports Law (2012-2013)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Construction (Including Construction Litigation) (2019)
- Recommended, Sport (2014-2017)
- Named to the Sports Business Journal's 40 Under 40 list, in recognition of his accomplishments in structuring financings for sports franchises and facilities (2010)
- Panelist, "Sports & Entertainment Law Panel with DLA Piper," Harvard Law School, April 10, 2018
- Mark has appeared as a speaker and panelist at conferences held by the National Association of Bond Lawyers and the New York State Economic Development Council
- "Power Players- Outside Counsel," Sports Business Daily, June 27, 2016
Memberships And Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- New York State Economic Development Council
- Council of Development Finance Agencies
My latest insights
DLA Piper partners Peter White, Mark Whitaker and Richard Rubano named to Sports Business...
25 October 2021 .4 minute read