Alexander ChaizeSenior Associate
Alexander Chaize is an experienced international dispute resolution lawyer who has helped clients including multinational companies, large financial institutions, states and state-owned entities and third party funders to successfully resolve high value and multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Alexander has experience of litigation, arbitration and settlement (including mediation), so he can offer strategic, well-rounded advice in any situation. He focuses particularly on the energy (including renewables), consumer goods and sports sectors, but also has a deep knowledge of civil fraud disputes and investment treaty arbitration.
As part of his role Alexander works closely with Aldersgate Funding Limited, an independent company backed by a third party funder, which provides DLA Piper clients with access to GBP150 million for funding litigation or arbitration claims.
In Autumn 2019 Alexander was seconded to DLA Piper’s Moscow office, where he worked closely with colleagues at DLA Piper and other local law firms, helping to develop his considerable knowledge and expertise of Russia and the CIS region.
In 2017 Alexander spent 6 months on secondment to the in-house legal department of the Football Association Premier League, a major client, where he assisted with enforcement of the client's intellectual property rights, including obtaining a High Court injunction targeting providers of illegal online streaming services, and drafted commercial contracts including sponsorship, confidentiality and supply of services agreements.
- Advising the Renova Group, a large Russian conglomerate, in BVI litigation (ongoing) arising from a multi-million US dollar joint venture involving assets in the energy sector including responding to applications for anti-suit injunctions and freezing orders over assets worth several billion US dollars.
- Advising for subsidiaries of Gazprom in dual multi-billion US dollar arbitrations (2017) seated in Stockholm relating to the supply and transit of natural gas to Europe and of geopolitical significance.
- Advising a major European biogas plant manufacturer in an IChemE arbitration (2018) concerning the construction, commissioning and subsequent insolvency of an anaerobic digestion plant in the UK, including detailed expert evidence on the technology involved in this developing renewable energy source.
- Advising the Government of Kenya on its successful defence to a multi-billion US dollar ICSID investment treaty arbitration (2018) regarding the expropriation of a rare earth metals mining licence.
- Advising an international tobacco company on a multi-million US dollar ICSID arbitration against the state of Ukraine (2021) relating to the imposition of a fine for alleged anti-competitive behaviour, eventually securing the repayment of the fine.
- Advising an international tobacco company on a multi-million US dollar LCIA arbitration (2021) arising from a shareholder dispute concerning a change in Russian tax legislation.
- Advising a South-Asian private sector bank on its application for a Norwich Pharmacal order in the English High Court (2016) against a Middle Eastern bank in support of underlying international fraud proceedings.
- Advising one of the leading listed banking groups in the Middle East and certain of its senior management in relation to settlement negotiations (2021) with one of the largest development banks in the world relating to its exit from the bank in politically sensitive circumstances.
- Successfully obtaining a refreshed judgment from the English High Court in order to facilitate the enforcement of a multi-billion US dollar judgment in the Middle East (ongoing).
- Advising a group of private investors on a multi-million US dollar English Commercial Court fraud claim (2018), including interim applications for security for costs and freezing injunctions.
- Advising a global entertainment company in relation to a dispute over the operation of a broadcasting agreement and the television rights to a valuable sporting event (2018).
- University of Law, GDL/LPC, 2014
- Durham University, Ancient History, 2012
- "Rodchenkov Act: the potential impact of controversial new US anti-doping legislation in the fight against international doping conspiracies", MSE Today – Media, Sport and Entertainment Insights, 5 Feb 2021
- "Pandemic stops play – will Australia be caught out by its decision to withdraw from 2021 tour to South Africa?", MSE Today – Media, Sport and Entertainment Insights, 1 Apr 2021
- "Media obligations and mental health in sport", MSE Today – Media, Sport and Entertainment Insights, 16 Sep 2021
- Endeavours and expectations in the energy sector, 6 Jun 2018
- "Exclusive remedy clauses: A cautionary tale", Energy Alert, 21 Jul 2017
- High Court Considers the Scope of its Powers in Support of Arbitral Proceedings  Int. A.L.R., Vol. 20, Issue 1, 2017
- DLA Piper Rus Limited, Moscow (September - November 2019): Seconded to DLA Piper’s Moscow office. Worked closely with both colleagues at DLA Piper and other local law firms in Moscow and continued to develop knowledge and expertise of Russia and the CIS region.
- Football Association Premier League Limited (March - August 2017): Seconded to in house legal department at major client. Assisted with enforcement of client's IP rights, including obtaining a High Court injunction targeting providers of illegal online streaming services, and drafted commercial contracts including sponsorship, confidentiality and supply of services agreements.