Rachel Ludwig represents a wide range of clients in the healthcare industry on various regulatory, compliance, and transactional matters. She is a member of the firm's Healthcare Industry team in the Washington, DC office.
Rachel advises healthcare clients on regulatory, compliance, and transactional matters, including digital health regulatory and strategic matters, structuring and implementing telehealth networks, fraud and abuse, health information privacy and security, corporate structure and governance issues, billing and reimbursement, and licensing and accreditation of healthcare providers and suppliers. She guides clients through strategic healthcare transactions and provides counseling on regulatory requirements and risks related to mergers and acquisitions and private equity investment. Rachel has served as an independent reviewer for entities under Corporate Integrity Agreements.
- Advised client with regard to setting up the company's telehealth operations and corporate structure.
- Assisted a multi-specialty physician practice management company in its partnership with a large gastroenterology physician group.
- Assisted a technology-enabled care platform providing value-based care and chronic disease management to seniors, in its acquisition of the Medicare value-based care business of a healthcare network.
- Represented multiple health systems (for-profit and non-profit) in certificate of need administrative proceedings and appeals in West Virginia.
- Assisted a buyer in its $205 million business combination with a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery and development of innovative antibody-based therapeutics.
- Assisted a special purpose acquisition company in the closing of its business combination a high-growth, differentiated medical practice-building business within the hormone optimization space.
- Assisted the largest national provider of acute care telemedicine in its entry into a definitive agreement to be acquired by health care investment firm.
- Advised on records custodian agreement and business associate agreement to transition medical records from retiring physicians to a healthcare provider.
- Assisted client in selling a senior living facility, providing assistance with healthcare/licensing provisions.
- Assisted in the sale of a senior housing facility to a subsidiary of a senior housing private equity real estate company.
- Assisted in the redemption of interest in owners of three senior housing properties.
- J.D., The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law
- Best Lawyers: One to Watch in America, Health Care Law, 2023
- West Virginia Super Lawyers, Healthcare "Rising Star," 2019
- Co-author, "Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Issues First HCPCS Code and Medicare DME Benefit Category Determination for Therapeutic Virtual Reality Device," The Journal of Federal Agency Action (July–August, 2023)
- CMS releases final rule for the Medicare Advantage RADV program, February 7, 2023
- Co-Author, "Health Care Contracts: A Clause-by-Clause Guide to Drafting and Negotiation," Chapter on Health Care Records and Privacy, October 2021
- Co-Author, "What health execs should watch: 2017 Supreme Court cases," Managed Healthcare Executive, January 20, 2017
- Contributor, "Freestanding EDs Can Have Special Compliance, Liability Concerns," Health Care Risk Management, January 2017
- Co-Editor, "Legal and Operational Guide for Free Medical Clinics," American Health Lawyers Association and American Medical Association Foundation, September 2015
- Co-Author, "Third-Party Premium Payments: Agency, Memos, Rules, Litigation, and More Uncertainty," AHLA Payers Plans & Managed Care Newsletter, v. 17-1, April 2014
- Co-Author, "What You Need to Know About the Two-Midnight Rule," Managed Healthcare Executive, December 2013
- Co-Author, "Clinically Integrated Networks Give Providers and Payers an Opportunity for Transformative Collaboration," BNA's Health Law Reporter, November 2013
- Webinar Co-Speaker, "Antitrust Considerations in Strategic Planning and Governance," forthcoming February 2023
- Co-Speaker, AHLA Institute on Medicare & Medicaid Payment Issues, March 24-26, 2021
- Webinar Co-Speaker, "Telehealth in a COVID-19 World and Beyond, Part Seven: Creating an Audit Plan for Telehealth," May 2020
Memberships And Affiliations
- Vice Chair, Business Law and Governance Practice Group, American Health Lawyers Association
My latest insights
Senate HELP Committee advances legislation to eliminate “anti-competitive” contract...
3 October 2023 .7 minute read
OIG releases advisory opinion re-analyzing online healthcare directories
20 July 2023 .12 minute read