Veronica Monteiro is a partner in the Edmonton office where she practises in the Corporate, Real Estate, Pension and Benefits and Financial Services Groups.
Veronica articled with the firm in 2009 and joined the firm as an associate in 2010. Veronica has experience in the areas of commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, asset purchase transactions, secured lending matters and construction matters.
Veronica also practises in the area of pension and benefit trust law where she assists in providing advice to the governing bodies and administrators of pensions.
Veronica received a Bachelor of Science, graduating with distinction from the University of Alberta in 2006. She attended law school at the University of Alberta and received a Bachelor of Laws in 2009.
- Acts for a number of Canadian Chartered Banks and large, Alberta-based, commercial lenders.
- Acted in the restructuring of the Canadian subsidiaries of a large, US-based publicly traded company.
- Acted as Canadian counsel for a US based private lender on a $85,000,000 USD senior credit facility.
- Acted for a Canadian chartered bank on a $50,000,000 credit facility in the automotive industry.
- Acted for a major Canadian bulk transportation company with respect to several acquisitions of mid-sized trucking businesses.
- Acted for the purchaser of assets relating to an airport hangar.
- Acted for a Canadian subsidiary of a large international public corporation specializing in technology services with respect to the multi-million dollar acquisition of a Canadian business.
- Acted for a European public corporation with respect to establishing a Canadian subsidiary and with respect to the purchase of a Canadian corporation providing transportation and logistics services in Canada.
- Acted for a large Alberta pension plan with respect to an investment in the HarbourVest Canada Growth Fund L.P, a limited partnership and venture capital program with a specific focus on the Canadian venture market. The amount of commitments from investors was in excess of $200,000,000.
- Acted for a large Alberta pension plan with respect to an investment in the amount of $50,000,000 in a Canadian real estate fund focusing on a diversified Canadian real estate portfolio.
- Acted for a large Alberta pension plan with respect to an investment in the amount of $30,000,000 in a Canadian Fund (structured as a Limited Partnership) with a focus on pursuing equity and equity-like investments in infrastructure assets in member countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development.
- Acted for Sprott Resource Lending Partnership in a non-revolving secured $140 million credit facility to Altius Minerals Corp. to fund its acquisition of coal and potash royalties from Prairie Mines & Royalty Ltd.
- Acted for Capital City Link General Partnership on the Northeast Anthony Henday Drive Project, a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) with the government of Alberta, to design, build, finance and operate the northeast leg of the Edmonton Ring Road.
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 2009
- B.Sc., (with distinction), University of Alberta, 2006
- Chambers Canada (Pensions and Benefits), 2018-2019
- The Legal 500 Canada (Pensions), 2018-2019, 2021
- Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40, 2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Pensions), 2022 (Lawyers to Watch)
Memberships And Affiliations
- National Vice-President, Canadian Bar Association Pension and Benefits
- Past Co-chair, Canadian Bar Association Pension and Benefits Alberta (North) Section
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Canadian Bar Association