Chair, Canadian International Trade, Regulatory and Government Affairs Group
Kevin Wright is an experienced competition law and class action defence lawyer. He is the Chair of the firm’s Canadian International Trade, Regulatory and Government Affairs Group.
In his 28 year career, he has covered all aspects of competition law from complex international and national cartel (price fixing) investigations and defence of criminal charges: merger clearance, abuse of dominance investigations, advice on marketing and distribution practices and compliance programs. He has acted in two of the few fully litigated merger cases before the Competition Tribunal, including an appearance in the Supreme Court of Canada and the successful defence of vendors against the proposed dissolution of a merger. While on a secondment early in his career, he was involved in significant merger cases before the European Commission and in the United States.
Kevin has been lead counsel in the defence of over 30 class actions across the country. His class action experience covers a variety of industries, including automotive, technology, manufacturing, electronics, transportation services, food and petroleum.
He has also acted for and advised clients in trade law disputes, including a chapter 11 NAFTA claim filed against the Government of Canada. He has acted in other regulatory proceedings and civil litigation including intellectual property disputes, proceedings under the Canada Transportation Act and appearances before regulatory agencies and a utilities commission.
Kevin has been an active member of the Canadian Bar Association National Competition and Foreign Investment Review Section throughout his career. He has served in the past as Chair of its International, Legislation and Policy, Economics and Law, Mergers and Criminal Matters Committees. He was the Chair of the Section’s 2022 Fall Conference, the country’s most significant annual competition law conference.
He has spoken and lectured on competition law, class actions and intellectual property law to professional and business audiences on various occasions.
For twelve years, Kevin has been an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia Faculty of Law where he teaches competition law.
Kevin received a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree from the University of Western Ontario in 1990, obtaining the gold medal in honours economics. He then studied law at the University of Toronto, where he graduated with honours in 1993.
- Acting for Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (CSE: TRUL) (OTC: TCNNF) in its proposed US$2.1 billion acquisition of Harvest Health & Recreation Inc. (CSE: HARV, OTCQX: HRVSF).
- Defence counsel in many class actions involving alleged anticompetitive conduct, including in respect of Automobile Parts, Ocean Shipping Services, Bearings, Optical Disc Drives, Ramen Noodles, Capacitors, Resistors, Lithium Ion Batteries, Diesel Engine Emissions, DRAM, SRAM, Flash Memory, Smart Card Chips
- Defence counsel in class actions involving allegations of copyright infringement, breach of fuel supply contracts, and improper collection of excise taxes
- Counsel to the Vendor Respondents before the Competition Tribunal in CCS/Tervita merger case
- Counsel to the Competition Bureau in the Southam Newspapers merger case (including appearance before the Supreme Court of Canada)
- Appearance before the British Columbia Utilities Commission Inquiry into Gasoline and Diesel Prices in British Columbia
- Acted for Autopro Automation Consultants Ltd. in three-party acquisition transaction with Universal mCloud Corp. and Fulcrum Automation Technologies.
- Acted for CDW Canada Corp. in its acquisition of Scalar Decisions Inc., a leading technology solutions provider in Canada
- Acted for Sumitomo Metal Mining Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo Corporation in the September 2018 acquisition of the Pogo Gold Mine in Alaska by Northern Star Resources for US$260 million
- Advised Nippon Paper Industries Co., Ltd., Marubeni Corporation and Daishowa North America Corporation in the $465 million acquisition of Daishowa-Marubeni International Ltd. by Mercer International Inc.
- Defence of patent infringement litigation involving oil and gas drilling operations, safety-system devices, sawmills, and helicopter logging
- J.D., (Honours), University of Toronto, 1993
- B.A., (Honours), University of Western Ontario, 1990
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Competition / Antitrust Law), 2021-2023
- Expert Guides: Guide to Competition and Antitrust, 2014, 2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Competition Law), 2010-2023
- Lexpert® ALM 500 Directory (Competition Law), 2022-2023
- Chambers Canada (Competition/Antitrust: Litigators), 2016-2023
- Chambers Global (Competition Law), 2015; (Competition and Antitrust), 2018-2022
- The Legal 500 Canada (Competition and Antitrust), 2016-2023; (Dispute Resolution), 2018-2019
- The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers (Competition Lawyers & Economists), 2013-2017
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada, Competition Law, 2012, 2014, 2017
- Lexpert Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers, 2020
- Who's Who Legal Canada - Competition, 2016-2022
- Who's Who Legal Competition: Lawyers, 2016-2022
- Co-author, "The Supreme Court of Canada 'Levels' Class Certification," Class Action Defence Quarterly, Vol 14, No. 2, December 2019 [Reprinted by permission of LexisNexis Canada Inc., from the Class Action Defence Quarterly Edited by Eliot N. Kolers, Copyright 2019]
- Co-author, "On the 'Level' After Godfrey: Proving Liability in Canadian Price Fixing Class Actions," Class Action Defence Quarterly, Vol 12, No. 2, December 2017 [Reprinted by permission of LexisNexis Canada Inc., from the Class Action Defence Quarterly Edited by Eliot N. Kolers, Copyright 2017]
- Chapter author, Fundamentals of Canadian Competition Law (1st, 2nd and 3rd editions)
- Adjunct Professor, University of British Columbia Faculty of Law, 2011-2022
- Lecturer, British Columbia Institute of Technology, New Media Course, 2010
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Competition Law, Administrative Law and Civil Litigation Subsections
- Past Chair, International Committee, Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section
- Past Chair, Economics and Law Committee, Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section
- Past Chair, Mergers Committee, Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section
- Past Chair, Criminal Matters Committee, Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section
- Past Chair, Legislation and Policy Committee, Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section
My latest insights
When the Regulator comes calling: How to prepare and respond to search warrants,...
31 January 2023 .7 minute read
Alan Macek, Bruce Stratton and Kevin Wright recognized in the 2023 Lexpert®/ALM 500...
10 January 2023 .2 minute read