John Goulios has over 30 years’ experience of helping clients in the insurance sector with various needs, including claims and coverage representation as well as corporate, commercial and regulatory mandates. He is particularly experienced in acting on behalf of captive insurers, assisting with claims management and structural, governance, organisational and regulatory challenges and requirements.
His insurer clients include local entities, Lloyds syndicates, and many global insurers and reinsurers. John has acted for such clients in respect of various risk classes including financial lines, bankers bond, D&O and W&I, political risk and significant energy, mining, and general property and business interruption losses. A number of these property mandates have followed natural catastrophes such as landslides, floods, cyclones and typhoons causing substantial destruction, disruption and loss. He also represented a major global insurer regionally on its COVID-19 pandemic exposures including in the Second Test Case in Australia.
John is experienced in all forms of dispute resolution including commercial litigation, mediation and international arbitration. He has acted for a number of global and regional clients in international arbitrations and commercial litigation in many jurisdictions in Asia and Australia concerning cross border mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, private equity disputes, power pricing actions and general corporate contractual, licensing, IT and intellectual property matters.
John has also conducted regional and multijurisdictional anti-bribery and anti-corruption due diligence and investigations, and other internal company investigations involving, among other things, employment matters, theft of intellectual property and embezzlement of company funds.
He is an independent non-executive director of IAG Re Singapore Pte Ltd and was formerly a director of Lion Nathan Insurance (Singapore) Pte Ltd. John was also formerly an Advisory Board member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club.
Since 2014, he has been listed annually in the Chambers Asia-Pacific and Global guides.
John led DLA Piper’s inaugural association with a local firm in Indonesia. He has previously held a number of other leadership roles in the firm including Head of Litigation and Regulatory (Melbourne), Head of Litigation and Regulatory (Singapore), and Managing Partner, Singapore.
- Representing various insurance intermediaries on regulatory and compliance issues in Asia and Australia
- Representing an insurance MGA in the disposal of its Singapore and Hong Kong Business Assets
- Representing a number of Asian insurance captives in regard to establishment, closure, portfolio transfer and general regulation and compliance
- Representing a number of international insurers as the AsiaPac lead on all COVID-19 notifications, claims and litigation
- Representing major global insurer in the Second Test Case issued in the Federal Court of Australia in respect of COVID-19 business interruption claims
- Representing a Dutch multinational entity in relation to litigation in Malaysia concerning pricing issues under a power purchase agreement
- Representing a Bermuda based reinsurer in court proceedings in Australia and a SIAC arbitration against an Australian marketing services entity in relation to reinsurance marketing activities undertaken in Japan and Indonesia
- Representing D&O insurers in respect of a number of US class actions concerning Chinese reverse mergers
- Representing a global multinational in an internal investigation into its marketing and distribution practices in Indonesia
- Representing a global multinational in a regional internal investigation into employee use of confidential information
- Conducting an internal investigation for a US listed company involving allegations of bribery and corruption in Asia
- Conducting various due diligence and investigations in Malaysia, China, Indonesia and Philippines for a global media company involving allegations of bribery and corruption and fraudulent practices
- Representing a panel of insurers in a significant construction related claim in Indonesia exceeding USD100 million
- Representing reinsurers in a USD1.6 billion claim following the 2008 flooding of coal mines in the Queensland Bowen Basin
- Representing insurers in a number of D&O, Bankers Bond and Financial Institution matters in Thailand
- Representing reinsurers in regard to reinsurance coverage disputes concerning the 2010 Thai floods
- Representing a captive insurer in a subrogation recovery action concerning a social engineering fraud claim
- Representing a Singapore captive insurer in litigation in Australia in regard to a profession indemnity claim arising out of the construction of a number of defence vessels (100m+)
- Representing a Singapore captive insurer in subrogation claims in Australia following machinery and equipment defects at a Western Australian mine and in a claim arising from a rail tunnel collapse
- Representing a Singapore captive insurer in various losses governed by Australian law in relation to an equipment loss in a South African mine following riots and strikes
- Representing an international insurer under a policy subject to Hong Kong law in relation to significant losses in connection with the 2019 Hong Kong demonstrations
- Representing a number of international reinsurers of a policy subject to Korean law in relation to a significant loss following an explosion at a gas plant in South Korea
- Representing a high-net-worth client in relation to litigation commenced in the SICC and related proceedings commenced in the British Virgin Islands
- Representing an Indonesian entity in a SIAC international arbitration brought by a Japanese joint venture partner for termination following allegations of bribery and corruption
- Representing an insurer in a high profile D&O claim in Japan, and in connection with related criminal proceedings in Japan, US Securities Exchange Commission and Department of Justice investigations
- Representing a European manufacturer of general aviation/light aircraft in an ICC arbitration seated in Singapore against a Chinese aircraft manufacturer in a dispute under a manufacturing license agreement involving losses allegedly exceeding EUR150 million and involving complex questions of EASA, TCCA and CAAC regulations and authorisations
- University of Melbourne, Bachelor of Law, 1987
- University of Melbourne, Bachelor of Commerce,1987
Awards and recognitions
- Band 2 lawyer and Notable Practitioner, Insurance, Singapore, Chambers Asia-Pacific 2022
- Leading individual, Insurance, Singapore, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific since 2021
- Recommended lawyer, Foreign Firms, Indonesia, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022
- 5-Star Excellence Insurance Lawyer Award, Insurance Business Asia 5-Star Excellence Awards 2021
- 5-Star Excellence Award for Insurance Law Firms (Singapore office), Insurance Business Asia 5-Star Excellence Awards 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Panel of arbitrators, Singapore International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of arbitrators, Pacific International Arbitration Centre
- Panel of arbitrators and mediators, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
- Singapore Law Academy Pro Bono/CSR Committee
- Singapore Law Society Foreign Lawyers Advisory Panel
- Singapore Insurance Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG)
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
My latest insights
DLA Piper Singapore and partner John Goulios receive Insurance 5-Star Excellence Award
19 August 2021 .2 minute read