Driving the transition to renewable power
Renewable power generation through wind, solar, hydro and other methods is one of the most visible aspects of the energy transition. The race is under way to plan, procure, develop, implement and sell renewable energy. This activity is central to discussions around climate change and, increasingly, calls for greater energy security driven by geopolitical instability.
We bring the cross-border reach and local presence that our clients need. We combine this with industry insights gained from advising on more renewable deals and projects than any other global law firm.
We represent developers, sponsors, equity investors, offtakers, lenders, multilateral institutions and government bodies and agencies.
Our experience covers development, construction, financing, M&A, sales, and investing in a diverse range of renewables and related projects. These include renewable power generation projects, energy storage facilities, utility-scale, distributed and residential solar, onshore, offshore and floating wind, biomass, and other innovations and technology-based matters. We also advise in tax, environmental, real estate, IP, employment, dispute resolution and arbitration matters.
“We bring the cross-border reach and local presence that our clients need. We combine this with industry insights gained from advising on more renewable deals and projects than any other global law firm.”
The renewables advice we provide is linked to our firm’s leadership and commitment to sustainability and environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, which are central to responsible investing.
Our own journey to decarbonize includes becoming the first law firm in the world to sign a corporate power purchase agreement (PPA) as an offtaker. When working on corporate PPAs, we can advise on guarantee of origin agreements and emission reductions. In solar power transactions, we can advise on supply chain issues relating to modern slavery.
We also have an open source approach, sharing best practice and explaining complex concepts through thought leadership and free global and regional guides. These platforms and resources mean you can understand challenges and opportunities in several jurisdictions without needing to search in multiple locations.
- Advising Shell New Energies US LLC on its agreement to buy 100% of Savion LLC, a large utility-scale solar and energy storage developer in the United States. The Savion acquisition bolsters Shell's strategy to develop an integrated power business as it moves to become a net-zero emissions energy business by 2050.
- Advising global toy manufacturer, The LEGO Group in its plans to invest over USD1 billion to build a factory in Virginia, its first in the US. The factory will feature an onsite solar park to generate power to match the factory's daily energy needs and carbon-neutral designs that minimize the use of non-renewable resources and energy consumption.
- Advising Elgin Energy on the sale of a 519 MW portfolio of solar PV projects and 70 MW of co-located energy storage capacity to Scottish Power Renewables (UK) Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of global utility Iberdrola Group. •Advising the Government of Oman on a brownfield IPP concession to install, own and operate hybrid power plants incorporating renewable power generation and battery storage, and operate the micro grids to which those new plants are connected.
- Advising BASF on the sale of 25.2% of the Hollandse Kust Zuid offshore windfarm in the Netherlands to Allianz. When fully operational in 2023, Hollandse Kust Zuid will be the largest subsidy-free offshore wind farm in the world. We had previously advised BASF on the acquisition of 49,5% of Vattenfall’s stake in the project, and the financing of the construction of the wind farm provided by a club of international lenders.
- Advising Greencoat Renewables PLC on the acquisition of the 101 MW Ersträsk South Wind Farm in Sweden. Consisting of 26 Enercon E103 and 10 Enercon E126 turbines, we advised on all aspects of the due diligence, acquisition and project agreements.
- Advising Prime Capital on the acquisition and negotiating of/entry into project documents of the 192 MW Lappfjärd onshore wind farm project in Finland.
- Advising Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners AG (now EIP) and E.ON on their investment into, and financing of the 475 MW Nysäter onshore wind farm in Sweden. The project is supported by a PPA signed with a global energy major providing a comprehensive set of risk management services to the project.
- Advising Renewco Power, the Edinburgh-based renewable power business, in its US expansion through the acquisition of a 1.5 GW pipeline of early-stage utility-scale solar projects and 500 MW of battery storage projects from Virginia-based developer Beaufort Rosemary.
- Advising Pele Energy on the refinancing of Africa's sole concentrated photovoltaic solar plant in Touwsrivier in the Western Cape, South Africa, with a capacity of 44 MWp.
- Advising Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. on its agreement to acquire Aela Generación S.A. and Aela Energía SpA, a 332 MW portfolio of three newly built operating wind assets in Chile, for a purchase price of GBP506 million.
Climate transition podcast