Global support on your large-scale asset finance transactions
Using aircraft, ships or other balance sheet assets as security for borrowing is an effective way to release capital. And leasing assets helps you efficiently manage capital expenditure. We understand the legal and commercial implications and will help you make the most of a wide range of asset financing structures.
We advise on asset and structured finance projects in the aviation, shipping – including yachts and superyachts – and rail industries as well as on general equipment finance and leasing, vehicle funding and receivables transactions. We also help with film production finance and tax-based leasing arrangements.
Clients turn to us for support with the buying, leasing, financing and sale of aircraft, private jets, helicopters, aircraft engines, ocean going ships, specialist marine assets (including offshore and near shore), rolling stock, rail infrastructure, plant and machinery, vehicles, manufacturing assets and IT assets. And we assist with the sale, purchase and financing of receivables relating to equipment funding and leasing, block discounting and wholesale finance facilities for asset finance providers. We also have a significant track record of advising on energy asset funding.
Our clients include banks, leasing companies, airlines, private jet and helicopter operators, train operating companies, ship owners and operators, brokers and arrangers, OEMs, vehicle rental and contract hire businesses, funds and governments.
Whatever the product or structure, we’ll provide high quality and cost effective support to help you manage legal requirements and budgets.
Our advice covers operating and finance leasing, asset portfolio sales and purchases, leasing company acquisitions, the acquisition and sale of leasing books and other receivables portfolios, Islamic finance structures and residual value arrangements. And we have experience in structured tax-based financings and export-credit transactions.
Our finance lawyers are based across Europe, Asia Pacific, the Americas and Africa. So we can advise you on local and cross-border transactions, wherever you do business.
- Advising a multi-national media company in relation to its equipment finance arrangements in various European jurisdictions, including the negotiation of equipment lease terms with several asset finance providers.
- Advising a bank on a Sharia'a compliant wholesale facility provided to an asset finance company, where the facility includes hire purchase and agency arrangements.
- Advising a vehicle finance provider on its stocking facility documentation, including agency arrangements and extended term financing.
- Advising a vehicle rental company on a revolving credit facility used for the financing of vehicle acquisitions and the moulding of the security and covenant package around its operational requirements.
- Advising CHC Helicopters in completing a conversion of second line notes and the discharge of an existing indenture which required the additional release and reorganisation of its helicopter assets throughout US, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Ireland, Scotland, England, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Poland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand.
- Acting for the new Flybe business in lessor RFP negotiations for the launch fleet and acting for Flybe on all lease and financing arrangements with NAC and Aergo and the delivery of the new aircraft for the new 2022 commencement of the business.
- Acted for Investec, as junior lender, on the refinancing of a 13 aircraft and spare parts portfolio for CityJet as part of the Cityjet examiner’s restructuring plan. This involved converting the transaction from the existing finance lease structure into a series of operating leases, as well as renegotiation of certain aspects of the lender documents.
- Advising a leasing company in relation to the acquisition of receivables arising under equipment leases entered into between a finance company and a private medical supplier and a supporting security arrangement over the equipment.
- Advising an international bank in relation to its purchase and onwards sale of receivables arising under agreements for the provision of energy and energy management facilities across various sites and associated security arrangements.
- Advising a bank on its disposal of its SME asset finance portfolio to a specialist asset finance provider.
- Advising a specialist asset finance provider in relation to a borrowing base facility to support its continued growth, involving the negotiation of a revolving credit facility, security package and intra-group assignment arrangements.
News and insight
Managing Your Capital and Fundraising in Turbulent Times: Startup Edition
21 September 2023 .4 minute read
DLA Piper strengthens its Finance, Projects and Restructuring Practice with a new partner
11 September 2023 .2 minute read