Alexandru Arjoca Ph. D.Counsel
Alexandru Arjoca is a highly skilled lawyer and prosecutor, experienced in investigating and prosecuting financial and economic crimes, Alexandru coordinates the White-Collar Crime practice in Bucharest.
He has more than 25 years of experience as a lawyer, including 12 years as a prosecutor, investigating and prosecuting complex cases of financial and economic crimes.For 8 years, Alexandru coordinated the Anti-Crime Department in the field of intellectual property rights within the General Prosecutor's Office, conducting complex investigations into trademark counterfeiting in the field of pharma, printer consumables, fashion, patent infringement, counterfeiting of designs and industrial models in automotive industry, copyright infringement streaming of major national and international TV and movie producers.
Alex was a prosecutor with the Prosecutor's Office attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice, the highest Prosecutor's Office in Romania, which includes both the National Anticorruption Directorate and the Directorate for Combating Organized Crime and Terrorism.
During his professional career, Alexandru engaged in pioneering projects and had a significant contribution in penal jurisprudence regarding financial and economic crimes. He was involved in creating, developing and running the IPR Common Data Base, a unique data base in Europe and in the world, used by enforcement agencies to exchange information while investigating Intellectual Property Rights cases. He also created an IPR investigation manual together with Business Software Alliance, useful both for companies and investigators.
- Assisting the former general director of one of the largest medical services companies in Romania, in front of criminal courts, in connection with an alleged bribe of EUR1m, paid to a hospital manager, and obtaining a final favourable solution without execution of imprisonment.
- Representing a major Romanian oil and gas company in front of the National Anticorruption Directorate in connection with alleged corruption acts committed by its employees during a tender procedure. The case entailed a complex internal investigation for identifying potential corruption acts, including analysis of all documents/emails regarding the tender procedure, people involved and potential breaches of procedural rules.
- Assisting a major multinational medical technology manufacturer in witness hearings and by providing an advice memorandum in a case handled by the National Anticorruption Directorate, concerning public procurements allegedly made at over-evaluated prices.
- Assisting a former member of the board of one of the largest Romanian oil & gas groups in a criminal investigation regarding alleged fraud, abuse of office, tax evasion and money laundering, with alleged damages in excess of EUR500m, concerning an early 2000s privatization of a Romanian oil refinery.
- Assisting a major construction and residential development company (regarding its civil liability) and its administrator (regarding criminal and civil liability) in a tax evasion criminal investigation, with alleged damages of approximately EUR 7,000,000, by filing requests and memorandums with the case prosecutor, constructing and communicating a case strategy, challenging asset freezes in court, and filing other defences.
- Representing the director of a Romanian construction company in a criminal investigation concerning alleged tax evasion in amount of EUR1m, including assistance with a dawn raid and revocation of precautionary measures.
- Advising a major company in the IT industry regarding possible tax evasion crimes, including assistance during a dawn raid and for recovering laptops seized during the raid.
- Assisting a multinational design and landscaping company in an extensive internal investigation regarding possible corruption offences committed by an employee.
- Representing a major European airline in four pending criminal investigations: two against the client or its employees and two submitted by the client against former employees. The cases entail complex issues including employments aspects, data protection issues, violation of privacy, abuse of office committed by private employees, and involves people from both company management and employees or former employees.
- Assisting a major international payment processing company in a criminal investigation against a former employee accused of embezzling funds.
- Nicolae Titulescu University, Faculty of Law, Ph.D. candidate, doctoral studies, Intellectual Property Law, 2012 - present
- University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law, LLB, 1996
- Alexandru is the author of several legal articles, covering topics such as piracy software, copyright, trademarks or counterfeited goods and medicines
- October 2014 - to date: DLA Piper Romania, Counsel
- April 2007 - September 2014: General Prosecutor Office attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice - IPR Crimes Bureau, Chief prosecutor
- August 2005 - April 2007: General Prosecutor Office attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice - Penal Department, Prosecutor
- June 2003 - August 2005: General Prosecutor Office attached to the High Court of Cassation and Justice - Civil Judicial Department, Prosecutor
- October 2002 - June 2003: Prosecutor Office attached to Buftea Law Court - Judicial Department, Prosecutor
- January 1997 - October 2002: Alexandru Lucian Arjoca Law Office, registered with Timisoara Bar, Lawyer
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Timisoara Bar