Justina is a member of the firm’s Legal Research and Litigation, Arbitration and Investigations groups. Justina conducts research and analysis, and drafts written submissions and opinions, for a wide range of civil and commercial litigation matters.
Key areas of law include complex estate and trust litigation, forestry regulation, administrative law, and contractual disputes. Justina also has significant experience advising clients on claims related to wills variation, validity of wills, trusts and gifts, and trust administration.
Justina has appeared before the BC Court of Appeal, BC Supreme Court and BC Provincial Court. Justina also has experience with various administrative and regulatory bodies including the Forest Appeals Commission, Canadian Transportation Agency and the BC Human Rights Tribunal.
Justina worked as a judicial law clerk at the BC Court of Appeal from 2013 to 2014 and was called to the bar in British Columbia in 2015 after articling with the firm.
- Counsel for a Trustee in a successful five-week trial dealing with $15 million in trust assets: Mong Alter Ego Trust No. 1 v. Yip, 2022 BCSC 1327.
- Counsel for Selkirk Mountain Forest Limited in a successful judicial review, overturning a decision by the Registrar of Timber Marks: Selkirk Mountain Forest Limited v. British Columbia (Registrar of Timber Marks), 2019 BCSC 1226.
- Counsel for a leading forestry company in successfully disputing a stumpage re-assessment by the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development.
- J.D., Queen’s University, 2013
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 2008
- Provides at least 50 hours per year of pro bono legal advice, including full legal representation for low income individuals.
- Member of the Access Pro Bono legal advice roster.
- Participant in Access Pro Bono’s annual advice-a-thon, providing summary advice and raising funds for Access Pro Bono’s programs.
- “Challenges to Life Insurance and Benefit Plan Beneficiaries”, Chapter 6, Estate Litigation Deskbook (CLEBC, anticipated publication date Spring 2023).
- “Settling Trusts for Adults with Diminished or No Capacity”, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, April 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Mentoring Committee Member, Women Lawyers Forum (Canadian Bar Association), 2016-2020