Tom Fotheringham is a projects lawyer with a broad range of acquisition and development experience focusing on energy, resources and infrastructure projects. Tom’s expertise cover joint ventures, infrastructure and asset use and sharing arrangements, project development and services agreements, concession contracts, acquisitions and divestments, farm-in agreements, production sharing contracts, power purchase agreements, rail haulage and use agreements, port services and capacity agreements, water transportation agreements, gas transportation and supply agreements, mine operations agreements, procurement agreements and commodity sales and transportation contracts.
Tom has advised on a number of significant projects and transactions while acting for the North West Shelf Project, Aurizon, Rio Tinto, British Gas / Shell, INPEX and Infigen Energy.
- Advising Mitsui E&P Australia on the acquisition of BHP's interest in the Minerva gas plant in Victoria.
- Advising all the North West Shelf Project participants (BHP, BP, Chevron, MIMI, Shell and Woodside) on the life extension of the existing project facilities in order to transform the project into a third-party gas processing facility.
- Acting for QGC on all aspects of the QCLNG Project including negotiating connection agreements, gas sales agreements and gas transportation agreements, the sale of the QCLNG pipeline, and the treatment, transportation and disposal of water associated with the project's coal seam gas activities.
- Advising Woodside in in respect of the sale of its interest in the laminaria and corallina fields as well as the Northern Endeavour Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading Vessel.
- Advising INPEX on the restructure of the project documentation for the Ichthys LNG Project in preparation for a positive FID and financial close as well as the sale of upstream and midstream interests in that project to TOTAL and a number of LNG buyers including Osaka Gas, Toho Gas, Tokyo Gas and Chubu Electric Power.
- Advising Rio Tinto on the USD19.5 billion Rio Tinto/Chinalco transaction involving the proposed establishment of eight joint venture investments in multiple jurisdictions across Iron Ore, Aluminum and Copper product groups.
- Advising Rio Tinto on the proposed USD100+ billion Rio Tinto/BHP Billiton iron ore production joint venture including negotiation of the core principles of the joint venture in London.
- Advising Aurizon in relation to the development of greenfield port and rail infrastructure for the West Pilbara Iron Ore Project including at the Port of Anketell and the development of rail and port infrastructure to service customers in Galilee Basin and Bowen Basin including a port project at Abbot Point.
- Company Directors Course, Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD), 2010
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law, 2003
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Queensland University of Technology, 2002
Bachelor of Business (Accounting), Queensland University of Technology, 2002
- Upstream Oil and Gas Agreements - University of Western Australia
Memberships And Affiliations
- Queensland Law Society
- Australian Mining & Petroleum Law Association Limited (AMPLA)
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
My latest insights
Carbon emissions: final legislative rules for the Safeguard Mechanism
21 June 2023 .36 minute read