Andrew McFarlane practises financial services and corporate / commercial law, with a focus on infrastructure and project financing; aircraft and equipment financing; and asset-based, syndicated and secured lending.
Andrew is recognized nationally and internationally as a leading lawyer in the area of aviation finance. He has acted for a wide range of aviation clients, including aircraft lessors, operators, financial institutions, corporate aircraft owners and investors. Andrew’s experience extends to structuring a broad spectrum of domestic and cross-border aircraft leases, conditional sales, secured loans, purchases and sales and ownership structures. In addition, Andrew has significant experience in work-outs, debtor-in-possession loans, bankruptcies, CCAA restructurings and CBCA arrangements and has acted for bankruptcy trustees and lenders in connection with the major Canadian airline insolvencies and restructurings of the past fifteen years.
Andrew also has in-depth experience in the area of public-private partnership (P3) transactions, having acted for lenders, equity sponsors and design-build contractors in a range of sectors including social infrastructure, transportation and electrical transmission. He has also helped clients with structuring the financing of renewable energy projects, including the financing of solar, wind, hydro and biogas power generation projects.
Andrew is a member of the American Bar Association’s Aircraft Financing Subcommittee and the National Air and Space Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association. He also sits on the Ontario Bar Association’s Personal Property Security Law Committee and is a member of the Toronto Opinion Group (TOROG). Andrew recently presented a case-study on the application of the Aircraft Sector Understanding in Export Credit Agency financings to the Inaugural International Bar Association Air Finance Opportunities Conference held in Montréal in June 2014. He has also given recent presentations on the implementation of the Cape Town Convention in Canada and the mechanics of aircraft leasing.
- J.D., University of Toronto, 1997
- M.A., University of Toronto, 1995
- B.A., University of Toronto (Trinity College), 1993
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Equipment Finance Law), 2006-2013 (Aviation Law), 2018-2023
- Listed as Acritas Star™ Lawyer, 2018-2020
- Lexology Client Choice Award, Aviation (Ontario), 2018
- Chambers Canada (Transportation: Aviation: Finance), 2018-2023
- Chambers Global (Transportation), 2017
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Infrastructure), 2012; (Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing), 2014–2023; (Aviation: Regulation & Liability), 2017–2023; (Banking & Financial Institutions), 2017–2022; (Project Finance), 2021-2022; (Mining), 2023
- Who's Who Legal: Aviation (Aviation Finance), 2018
- The Legal 500 Canada (Infrastructure and Projects), 2016 (Transport: Aviation), 2017-2023
- Who's Who Legal: Transport (Aviation Finance), 2017, 2020-2021
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Aviation), 2014–2019
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating of "AV Preeminent"
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers, 2017
- Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Finance Lawyers, 2014
- Chambers Global (Banking and Finance Law), 2012
- Presenter, The Intensive Short Course in Secured Lending and Debt Finance, Osgoode Hall Law School of York University, Oct 10-11, 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Trinity College Board of Trustees
- Past President, Trinity College Alumni Association