Michael E. ReidPartner
Mike Reid is a corporate law generalist with a technology focus, often working with entrepreneurs, founders and other executives in startup and growth-stage companies.
Mike works with companies in a wide variety of sectors, from software to e-commerce, gaming to productivity tools, artificial intelligence to VR/AR, healthtech, fintech, consumer goods, food and beverage, life sciences and everything in between, at all stages of a company’s life cycle from startup, through growth, to exit.
Mike is a trusted legal advisor, helping guide clients through their various corporate process and business issues. Specifically, he advises clients on corporate/commercial law including: company formations, such as structuring, shareholders agreements, and governance considerations; IP creation and commercialization; staffing concerns, such as employment and contractor matters; B2B and B2C contracting concerns; financing matters whether pre-seed, seed, series raises, private equity, venture capital or other strategic investments; and joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to practising law, Mike had a career in marketing and communications working for a wide range of clients. He brings to his legal practice a practical understanding of what is takes to grow successful business ventures in the modern economic landscape.
Mike has particular expertise advising startup companies and has written a number of articles providing tips, tools and programs for entrepreneurs and their startup ventures.
- Certificate in Entertainment Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2013
- LLB, University of British Columbia, 2010
- BA, Simon Fraser University, 2003
- Lexology Legal Influencers Q3 2021 (Intellectual Property - Canada)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Technology Transactions), Lawyers to Watch, 2021; (Corporate Mid-Market), 2023
- The Legal 500 Canada (Cannabis), 2022-2023; (Technology), 2022-2023; (Corporate M&A), 2022-2023
- Author, How Are CBD Products Regulated Under Canadian Cannabis Law? March 2019
- Author, Protection of Inventions Related to the Marijuana Industry, November 2018
- Author, Domain Name Squatters Lose - Again, November 2, 2017
- Author, Reminder: BC Franchise Legislation in Effect February 1st, 2017, January 2017
- Author, Franchise Legislation has Arrived in British Columbia, October 2016
- Author, International Data Transfers to and from Canada, September 2016
- Author, An Introduction to the New Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR), September 2016
- Author, From Franchisor to Joint Employer – Update on Potentially Increasing Liabilities of Franchisors for the Employees of their Franchisees, August 2016
- Author, Tips for Startups – Understanding the Stages of Equity Financing, July 2016
- Author, Tips for Startups - Understanding Debt vs. Equity Investments, July 2016
- Author, Top Ten (Legal) Tips for Startups, February 2016
- Author, Franchise Legislation is Coming to British Columbia
- Speaker, #TechLaw2022 series, CLE BC, September 28 to November 8, 2022
- Speaker, Business & Technology II: Technology Issues in Contracts, CLE BC, March 2015
- Overview of Privacy Law in Canada, Capilano University, Paralegal Program, annual presentation, 2013 - 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- Former Director, Pacific Legal Outreach and Education Society
- Former Director, Simon Fraser University Alumni Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- iTechLaw (International Tech Law Association)