Malinda Yuen practises in the areas of civil litigation and employment law. She has particular experience in corporate litigation, real estate disputes and employment matters.
Malinda is experienced before all levels of court in Alberta and appeared before various administrative tribunals. She also has experience in alternative dispute resolutions.
Malinda attended the University of Manitoba, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts in 2001 and a Bachelor of Laws in 2004. In her final year of law school she worked as a clerk to the judges of the Manitoba Court of Appeal.
She was called to the Bar in 2005 in Manitoba and practised at a major firm in Winnipeg prior to moving to Alberta, where she was called to the Bar in 2007.
- Represents clients in alleged wrongful termination actions and actions to enforce restrictive covenants.
- Provides advice on employment contracts, termination of employment, workers’ compensation, employment standards and human rights. Malinda routinely provides advice on the employment related aspects of transactions including asset and share sales.
- Represents clients in oppression remedy claims, real estate development issues, contractual disputes, intellectual property matters, judicial review of administrative decisions, and defamation claims.
- LL.B., University of Manitoba, 2004
B.A., English (with Distinction), University of Manitoba, 2000
- Recipient, Law Society of Manitoba 2005 A. Montague Israels Q.C. Prize for community and professional involvement, academic performance and dedication to the practice of law, together with numerous academic awards throughout her university career.
- Rey v. Milestones – B.C. Human Rights Tribunal permits curious case of discrimination to be heard, 8 May 2018
- Co-Author, “(Re)confirmation of a Fundamental Right: Four Supreme Court of Canada Solicitor-Client Privilege Decisions in 2016”, The Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2018, Carswell, Oct 2018
- Member of DLA Piper (Canada) LLP’s Labour and Employment Editorial Committee
- Speaker, 2022 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Webinar Conference, Cross-Canada case law update, Calgary
- Speaker, Sealing Orders Post Sherman Decision, Canadian Bar Association, Civil Litigation South, February 22, 2022
- Speaker, 2020 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Webinar Conference, Managing Potential Discrimination Hazards in the COVID -19 Workplace, Calgary
- Speaker, 2019 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Conference, Three is a Crowd: Employees, Independent Contractors, and Dependent Contractors, Calgary
- Speaker, 2018 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Conference, Workplace Investigations, Calgary
- Speaker, 2017 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Conference, Employee Privacy Considerations, Calgary
- Speaker, 2016 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Conference, Just cause termination: protecting against wrongful dismissal suits, Calgary
- Speaker, 2015 DLA Piper (Canada) LLP Employment and Labour Conference, Workplace Investigations, Calgary
- Coordinator, Pro Bono Law Alberta, Civil Claims Duty Counsel
- Planning Committee Chair and Volunteer, Dragon and Lion Dance International of Canada
- Volunteer, Winnipeg Folklorama Festival - Chinese Pavillion
- Volunteer Baker, Icing Smiles Canada
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Alberta and Canadian Bar Associations, Employment and Civil Litigation subsections
- Member, Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Phi Delta Phi Legal Ethics Association