Derivatives advice you can count on
Global market reforms make derivatives a complex area. We help you adapt to these reforms, and capitalize on innovation and technological changes. With global experience in established and emerging markets, we help you use derivatives to manage and mitigate risk. And we solve complex regulatory and tax issues.
We’re an international derivatives practice acting for leading global and domestic organizations. These include financial institutions to Fortune 1000 corporations, insurers to clearing houses, hedge funds to asset managers, investors of all kinds and government agencies to sovereign entities.
Our lawyers can guide you on every aspect of your exchange-traded and over-the-counter trading and documentation – across the range of market products.
We advise on hedging products and complex products embedded within wider transaction structures. Examples include interest rate derivatives for real estate loans, equity derivatives for building stakes in public companies, commodity derivatives for financing major projects, and foreign exchange derivatives for securitization transactions where underlying assets are in other currencies.
“Our lawyers can guide you on every aspect of your exchange-traded and over-the-counter trading and documentation – across the range of market products.”
Clients rely on us to address their legislative and regulatory concerns. These include the Dodd-Frank Act and related US Commodity Futures Trading Commission and US Securities and Exchange Commission regulations, MiFID II and EMIR – and updates such as the EMIR Refit. We understand how your derivatives contracts can comply, and we guide you on the processes you need in place to support this.
Taking a full-service approach, we also advise on your tax and other local law issues wherever in the world you do business.
- A major bank and its broker-dealer subsidiary in connection with the creation of a FINRA Rule 4210 compliant form of master securities forward transaction agreement.
- A major real estate investment fund in connection with a first of its kind program to enable it to purchase interest rate caps in a regulatory compliant manner directly through its financial advisor and without being a direct counterparty to cap providers.
- A major US development bank in connection with ISDA Master Agreements, interest rate swaps, foreign exchange derivatives and cross currency swaps in connection with the financing of various development projects in emerging market jurisdictions.
- A major US government pension plan in the creation and negotiation of Phase 6 initial margin documentation, including credit support annexes, collateral schedules and account control agreements.
- An affiliate of a major insurance company on the close-out of a structured OTC commodity derivatives transaction and related pricing disputes in connection with Winter Storm Uri.
- An asset manager subsidiary of a major bank in connection with the development of its derivatives trading program, including the negotiation of futures agreements and ISDA Master Agreements.
- Created a form ISDA Master Agreement for a major global charitable fund.
- Provided legal opinions to major banks on ISDA Master Agreements, master repurchase agreements and master securities lending agreements.
- Various private real estate investment funds in the negotiation of ISDA Master Agreements and advised on related regulatory compliance matters.
- Various public and private real estate investment trusts and related special purpose entities in the creation of best practices terms for ISDA Master Agreements and successfully negotiated them to completion with various dealer counterparties.
- Various US states and their related investment funds in the negotiation of custody agreements, ISDA Master Agreements, forms of equity derivative confirmations, master repurchase agreements, and prime brokerage agreements.