Leading-edge advice wherever your mining projects take you
No matter where you mine, explore, invest or offtake, we provide innovative insight and advice to help you navigate any challenge and take advantage of every opportunity. We understand this industry, its evolving role in the global supply chain, and how it’s shaped by environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues.
Our multidisciplinary team leverages deep global experience to help you with virtually any legal issue throughout the entire mining project lifecycle, and especially during this dynamic energy transition.
We combine experience across projects, corporate, finance, environment, property and construction. We advise on all aspects of mining including start-up, feasibility, development, day-to-day operational matters, divestment, and site closure. We also have comprehensive M&A, joint venture, finance and dispute resolution capability.
Our lawyers provide strategic and practical legal support in all of the major mining regions, including emerging markets in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East, and established markets in the US, Australia and Europe.
“Our approach is informed by an understanding of local regulatory environments, key project drivers and sensitivities, and the markets in which you operate.”
We understand that changing economic and regulatory conditions are often felt at a mine before they appear on the balance sheet or at the boardroom table. We also know that operational and investment decisions are now viewed through an ESG lens more than ever. And we recognize the importance of decarbonization, sustainability, and the transition from traditional resources to critical minerals and other metals to support the battery supply chain.
Awards and recognition
- Advising Saracen Minerals on its AUD16 billion merger with Northern Star Resources Limited to create a top ten global major gold producer.
- Advising the Republic of Guinea in its multi-billion euro mining investment arbitration against BSGR.
- Advising Posco on the USD240 million acquisition of an equity interest in the Ravensthorpe Nickel Operation in Western Australia.
- Advised Brazil’s Vale S.A. in its bauxite division spin-off into a separate entity for subsequent sale to Norsk Hydro.
- Advising EV Metals Group plc in relation to the development of a USD3 billion integrated battery mineral and chemical complex in Yanbu Industrial City in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising the Governments of Afghanistan, Somalia and Ecuador in relation to the reform of their mining laws and the award of mining concessions.
- Advising Northern Graphite Corporation on the acquisition of graphite mines (Lac des Iles graphite mine in Québec and the Okanjande graphite deposit/Okorusu processing plant in Namibia) from Imerys SA and related equity, debt, royalty and stream financings.
- Advising Resolute Mining in multiple transactions to support its focus on African gold opportunities including its USD274 million acquisition of junior miner Toro Gold with assets in Senegal.
- Advising AVZ Minerals on the development of the Manono Lithium Project in the Democratic Republic of Congo, including the constitution of a special economic zone, restructuring of the joint venture, lithium offtake arrangements and project financing.
- Advising Pilbara Minerals and Altura Mining in relation to the development of the Pilgangoora Lithium Project in Western Australia including negotiation of tenure and access arrangements, sale and purchase agreements, government liaison and approvals.
News and insights
DLA Piper Canada advised Adventus Mining on merger with Luminex to create growth-focused...
24 November 2023 .1 minute read