Co-Head of International Corporate Reorganizations
Head of Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions
Member of the International Board
Marta Frąckowiak focuses on private mergers and acquisitions, reorganisation and restructuring processes, and commercial contracts. She has broad experience in cross-border deals and corporate restructurings.
Marta is highly experienced in planning, negotiating, and document drafting for mergers and acquisitions. She has been praised by clients as a standout M&A lawyer with a refined understanding of the law and the dynamics of M&A activity. Clients value her exceptional ability to combine sophisticated legal thinking with a practical approach, and the innovative solutions she finds to complex issues.
Recent examples of transactions that Marta has advised on include Hubert Burda Media’s acquisition of Cocolita.pl, an e-commerce platform offering a comprehensive array of beauty products, and MCI.PrivateVentures’ sale of Lithuanian based UAB Pigu, a leader in e-commerce in the Baltics, to Mid Europa Partners.
Marta has particular experience in the defence and aviation industries, helping clients with a wide variety of matters.
Alongside her client work, Marta is a committed leader of DLA Piper Poland’s pro bono activities.
Marta’s clients have included Hubert Burda Media, Life Healthcare Group, Add Secure, Viessmann, Fiserv, Quanta Services, Inc., General Electric, Lyreco Management, MCI.PrivateVentures, Raytheon, Danaher Corporation, JD Sports Fashion, Ecolab, DS Smith, Resource Partners, and Discovery.
Her experience includes advising:
- Hubert Burda Media on its acquisition of Cocolita.pl, an e-commerce platform offering a comprehensive array of beauty products
- MCI.PrivateVentures, an investment fund owned by the MCI Group, on the sale of Lithuanian based UAB Pigu, a leader in the e-commerce/marketplace segment in the Baltics, to Mid Europa Partners
- Life Healthcare Group on the sale of 100% of shares in Poland-based healthcare network operator Scanmed to Abris CEE Mid-Market III LP, a fund managed by Abris Capital Partners for PLN340 million (EUR76 million)
- Resource Partners, a leading regional private equity fund specialising in investing in SMEs in the CEE region:
- on the acquisition of a majority stake in Maced, a leading European manufacturer of dog treats;
- on the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Atlantic Products, a family-owned business operating in the pet food industry; and
- on the sale of 100% of Maced, the leader in the meat-based dog snack market to Assisi Pet Care Ltd, a UK-based investment company of Harwood Capital and Peter Mangion
- Viessmann Group, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of heating, industrial and refrigeration systems, on the acquisition of 100% of shares in Kospel, a manufacturer of electric heaters, instant water heaters and hot water storage tanks; this was one of the most high-profile transactions in the HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) sector in Poland in 2019
- Swedish Vehco (Part of AddSecure, an Abry Partners portfolio company) on its acquisition of a 100% stake in Polish FrameLOGIC
- First Data Corporation, a financial services company, on the corporate and regulatory aspects of the internal reorganisation of the client's firm and the planned acquisition by Fiserv, a provider of technology solutions to the financial sector, of a substantial block of shares in the client's firm, including preparing and filing a notification with the Polish Financial Supervision Authority
- A world-leading company in the energy sector providing equipment, solutions and services across the energy value chain:
- on the acquisition of the industrial steam turbine business as part of an internal reorganisation, involving drafting business purchase agreements, negotiating their content and participating in the signing of the agreements; and
- on the transfer of the transportation business as part of a global reorganisation of the company aimed at selling its non-core businesses, including establishing new entities (the purchasers of the businesses), drafting business purchase agreements, negotiating their content, providing help in funding of new entities and participating in the signing of the agreements
- An international packaging business on the transfer of its plastics division to another entity from the client's group; the transfer was part of the global reorganisation of the client's business assets
- The Institute of Economics of the Polish Academy of Sciences, MBA Degree, 2014
- European School of Law and Administration, Warsaw, Master of Laws Degree, 2003
- University of Warsaw, Center for American Law Studies, 2002
Awards and recognitions
- Women Leaders in Poland, IFLR1000 2021-22
- Leading individual, Commercial, Corporate & M&A, The Legal 500 EMEA 2021-22
- Notable Practitioner, FinTech, Chambers Europe 2020
- Highly Regarded in M&A, IFLR1000 2017-22
- "Marta Frackowiak is a stand-out M&A lawyer who is able to provide innovative solutions to complex solution problems – and a seasoned M&A lawyer who is able to carry large and sophisticated transactions with ease." - The Legal 500 EMEA, Corporate, Commercial and M&A 2022
Marta supervises and coordinates the pro bono activities of DLA Piper’s Warsaw office and, most recently, she has been involved in the activities of the ‘DLAGranicy’ (‘For the Border’) team including:
- assisting an Afghan family of 12, who had escaped from Afghanistan and settled in Poland, providing them with legal and practical assistance, including financing their flat and providing essential household items;
- providing legal aid for refugees from Ukraine, and participating in the organisation and coordination of help for refugees at all stages: from assistance at the Polish/Ukrainian border and in reception centres, to finding accommodation and helping to legalise their stay (including international protection), raising funds and collecting clothes, food and medicine; and
- providing ongoing support to lawyers from Kinstellar (formerly DLA Piper Kyiv) and their families with matters such as accommodation, healthcare (including professional appointments for oncology treatments), translation, relocation within Poland and other EU states as well as other day-to-day needs.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Warsaw Bar Association of Attorneys-at-law, 2008
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises BASF on global carve-out of mobile emissions catalysts and precious...
18 September 2023 .5 minute read
DLA Piper advises Halma on an acquisition of a 100% stake in Sewertronics
9 May 2023 .2 minute read