Claire L. HallPartner
Claire Hall focuses her practice on structured finance and derivatives. Claire represents issuers, underwriters and purchasers across a broad range of domestic and cross-border finance transactions including CLOs and securitizations. Her experience includes traditional and non-traditional assets classes including financings involving trade receivables, PACE, management fees, developer fees and cashflows from multifamily housing assets.
Claire has significant experience representing financial institutions, hedge funds, asset managers, dealers and end users in relation to a variety of derivatives transactions. She advises on regulatory issues affecting derivatives under Dodd-Frank and EMIR. Claire also advises on matters related to the California cap and trade scheme.
Claire is currently a co-chair of DLA Piper's LIBOR Transition Practice and co-head of the Derivatives Group.
- Acting as counsel to swap providers and counterparties in relation to credit default swaps, fixed-income derivatives, foreign exchange transactions including non-deliverable forward transactions, repurchase agreements, total return swaps, securities and stock lending, options, interest rate derivatives, currency derivatives and equity derivatives and related products
- Advising on and negotiating documentation in relation to commodity transactions including emissions allowances (EU and US, including in relation to the California cap and trade scheme), power and fuel trading, both in respect of cash and physically settled transactions
- Advising on swap termination and closeout of OTC derivatives, including in the context of bankruptcy and restructuring
- Advising major financial institutions in relation to synthetic CDO transactions
- Advising in relation to project finance and other finance linked swaps
- Advising on custody arrangements and collateral management
- Advising on legal and regulatory matters affecting derivatives transactions and the derivatives market, including with respect to the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR). Recent representations include advising US and non-US based hedge funds, asset managers, end users, banks and other financial institutions on regulatory and compliance issues associated with the Dodd Frank Act and EMIR; advising on the migration of OTC products to clearing and the negotiation of cleared derivatives agreements and on-boarding documentation; advising on commodity pool operator and commodity trading adviser issues affecting asset managers, securitizations and other investment vehicles; advising on extraterritoriality issues; and the new swap reporting and record keeping rules
- Advising on secured lending transactions with respect to the film industry
- Advising on film finance transactions
- B.A., College of Law, London 2002
- LL.B. (Hon.), English and German Laws, Liverpool University 2001
- 2017 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award: Hedge Fund Transactions Lawyer of the Year in California
- Claire has been named a Southern California Super Lawyer Rising Star by the publisher of Law & Politics and Los Angeles magazines 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018
- The Legal 500 United States
2020 - Recommended, Structured Finance: Securitization
- Co-author, "Cross-Border Impact of US Margin Rules," Thomson Reuters, December 9, 2016
- Co-author, "Life on the margin: US margin rules finalized at last," Journal of Investment Compliance, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2016
- Co-author, "To Report Or Not To Report: Responding To Boycott Requests," Law360, September 21, 2015
- Co-author, ''Sink Or Swim? The New Reality of Regulatory Risk in the Energy Markets,'' Pratt's Energy Law Report, LexisNexis
- Co-author, ''A Practical Examination of the Regulatory Oversight of Energy Marketing & Trading Companies in the United States,'' Energy Law Advisor, Vol. 8, No. 5 – November 2014
- "Hedging Carbon Risks," California Current, Volume 12, Number 18, May 9, 2014
- Speaker, Navigating the LIBOR Transition," DLA Piper webinar, July 8, 2020
- Speaker, "Swap Collateral Documentation and the New Final Margin Regulations for Uncleared Swaps," Strafford Webinar, September 29, 2016
- Panelist, ''CFTC Proposed Rule for the Cross Border Application of the Margin Requirements,'' The Knowledge Group Webcast, January 22, 2016
- Presenter, "Your Firm and the ISDA Resolution Stay Protocol," The Knowledge Group Webcast, June 17, 2015
- Speaker, "Global Derivatives Regulations," ACA Compliance Group Fall 2013 Compliance Conference, October 10, 2013
Claire joined the firm having previously worked at leading law firms in New York, Los Angeles and London.
Memberships And Affiliations
- American Bar Association – Derivatives and Futures Law Committee
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- 100 Women in Finance
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Citizens in the signing of a Corporate Power Purchase Agreement to...
20 September 2022 .3 minute read
For funds participating in commodities markets: Understanding pool operator and commodity...
7 June 2022