Tony Katz focuses on regulatory work for financial institutions and global investigations. He has over 25 years’ experience of advising banks, fund managers, insurers, fintechs and other financial institutions on UK and international regulatory issues and regularly acts on high profile matters involving the FCA, PRA and other global regulators.
He has significant experience in contentious matters, including regulatory and exchange investigations in the UK, the EU, the US and Asia, and is recognised for achieving great results for his clients in their most important and complex proceedings.
Tony has broad experience of advising on regulatory change and significant corporate transactions. He recently led the instruction for UK Finance (the leading trade association for the UK banking and financial services sector) to support them (and their members) in responding to the FCA Consumer Duty consultation, which is due to have far-reaching consequences for the industry. He has recently led a number of re-organisations and mergers for international and UK banks.
In his investigations practice he has carried out some of the most complex and sensitive investigations. He represented a European bank in proceedings commenced by the European Central Bank (ECB) for the withdrawal of the bank's licence based upon the ECB's loss of confidence in the bank's business model, and governance, systems and controls AML failures. He has also conducted multiple independent reviews for a leading UK bank, and fraud, bribery and ethics investigations for a global retailer.
Tony was formerly a partner in the Litigation practice of a US based international law firm, a manager at the UK financial regulator and a former global head of compliance at a financial services group. He has acted as an FCA-appointed skilled person on conduct of business issues.
Tony combines perspectives from in-house, the regulator and private practice, to give clients a clear and practical understanding of the market.
- Engaged by UK Finance (the leading trade association for the UK banking and financial services sector) to support them and their members in responding to the FCA Consumer Duty consultation, with far-reaching consequences for the industry
- Acted as an FCA appointed Skilled Person to carry out an S166 review involving one of the most significant matters for a leading UK bank
- Represented a UK listed company, Dixons Carphone Plc, in relation to a long-running enforcement investigation brought by the FCA, which culminated in an RDC hearing in December 2008 and publication of the FCA Final Notice on 13 March 2019
- Represented an AIM-listed company in an FCA enforcement market abuse investigation
- Acted in “bet the bank” civil proceedings in the UK High Court
- Led the advice to two Indian public sector retail banks – Syndicate Bank and Canara Bank – on the UK aspects of a merger ordered by the Government of India
- Advised a leading asset manager on the regulatory aspects of its EUR5.3 billion acquisition
- Represented a European Bank in proceedings commenced by the ECB for the withdrawal of the bank's licence based upon the ECB's loss of confidence in the bank's business model, and governance, systems and controls AML failures
- Conducted multiple independent reviews for a leading UK bank
- Advised a wealth manager in relation to an 18-month past business review of the suitability of advice given to its clients and assisted with the re-profiling of its clients
- Provided regulatory advice in relation to a large IT outsourcing project involving c. 93 jurisdictions
- Conducted an internal investigation triggered by a whistleblower complaint; the allegations included inappropriate behaviour and potential misconduct and mismanagement
- University of Cape Town, Bachelor of Business Science (Honours), LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws)
Awards and recognition
- Leading individual, Financial Services: Contentious, London, The Legal 500 UK 2021-22
- Ranked lawyer, Financial Services: Contentious Regulatory, UK-wide, Chambers UK 2022
- Recommended lawyer, Financial Services: Non-Contentious/Regulatory; Fraud: White-Collar Crime (Advice to Individuals); Regulatory Investigations and Corporate Crime (Advice to Corporates), London, The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Cryptoassets from a consumer protection perspective, Practice Notes, LexisNexis
- Pros and cons of cryptoassets, Practice Notes, LexisNexis
Memberships And Affiliations
- LexisNexis Financial PSL practice editorial board