Carlos specializes in the legal structuring and execution of Public and Private Infrastructure Projects, including advising on various contractual, corporate, financial and arbitration issues related to them.
In recent years he has participated in most of the tenders and tenders announced by PROINVERSION for the award of infrastructure projects under the P3 modality, advising local and international clients on their participation, especially in the areas of road infrastructure, airport, railway, port and energy.
Likewise, he has actively participated in the elaboration of Private Initiatives for the development of infrastructure projects for public use and service, in the transportation, health and entertainment sectors.
On the other hand, Carlos has extensive experience sponsoring clients in arbitration proceedings derived from infrastructure concession contracts for public use and public and private works, having developed an important specialization in the solution of controversies in the construction sector.
Today, Carlos co-leads the Latin America Arbitration Practice for DLA Piper. Likewise, he chairs de Peruvian Society of Construction Law since August 2021.
Carlos has advised on infrastructure projects such as:
- Metro de Lima Linea 2
- Via Linea Amarilla toll road concession in Lima
- Carretera Interoceanica toll road
- Southern Peruvian Gas Pipeline
- Lima Airport and several Northern Peruvian airports
- Concession of several tranches of the Carretera Panamericana toll road
- Construction of highways and roads
- Huachipa water treatment plant
- Major water and sewage public works in Lima, Cuzco, Arequipa and Cajamarca
- Modernization of the Talara refinery
- Irrigation projects
- Several major public schools
- Quitaracsa and La Virgen hydroelectric power plants
- Kingsmill acid water treatment plant
- Mining projects at Tambomayo and Cerro Verde
- LL.M., International Legal Studies, Georgetown University Law Center 2005
- Corporate Finance Program, Universidad ESAN, Lima, Peru, 2001 and 2007
- J.D., Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, 1995
- IFLR 1000
- “Highly Regarded Lawyer” in Project Development, and Project Finance (2023)
- Latin Lawyer 250
- “Key Partner” in Project Finance & Infrastructure and Arbitration, “International Counsel” in Project Finance & Infrastructure (2024).
- Latin American Corporate Counsel Association: "Approved" in Arbitration (2018 - 2021)
- Leaders League: "Excellent" in Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in Construction - Litigation & Arbitration (2018-2021) and "Excellent" in Project Finance (2020 - 2022)
- Who’s Who Legal: "Expert Lawyer" for Government Contracts
- Latin Lawyer: Recommended as Expert Lawyer for Projects & Arbitration
- Chambers Latin America
- Band 3, Peru Projects (2022, 2023, 2024)
- Band 3, Peru Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2020 - 2024)
- Band 2, Peru Projects (2018 - 2021)
- Band 2, Peru Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2018 - 2019)
"Carlos Núñez is one of the most creative and analytical lawyers I have ever worked with, a client observes.”
Another interviewee appreciates his commercial awareness, and states: 'Carlos Núñez goes beyond the legal aspects of a case and is able to foresee different scenarios that your average, everyday lawyer would not see.'
- The Legal 500 Latin America
- Recommended, Peru Projects and Infrastructure (2018 - 2019, 2021-2022)
- Leading Lawyer, Peru Projects and Infrastructure (2023, 2024)
- Recommended, Peru Dispute Resolution (2019, 2021, 2022, 2023)
- Recommended, Peru, Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (2024)
- Recommended, Latin America: International Firms International Arbitration (2018 - 2019)
- Recommended, Peru Banking & Finance (2018)
The Legal 500 comments, "Núñez also handles arbitration resulting from infrastructure concessions, PPPs, public works and private construction."
The Legal 500 comments, "DLA Piper Perú provides a well-structured and full-service disputes' offering with extensive partner-level expertise. Its arbitration practice is split into two key areas: construction and projects' matters, led by experienced infrastructure partner Carlos Nuñez..."
- Chambers Global
- Band 3, Peru Projects (2022 - 2023)
- Band 2, Peru Projects (2018 - 2021)
- Author, "Constitution of trusts on regional governments rents as a mechanism to finance infrastructure projects for public use," CDA, No. 7, 2009
- Author, "Notes on the Financing of Infrastructure Projects for Public Use with Private Participation," CDA, No. 4, January 2008
- Author, "Public-Private Partnerships: Generation of Investment Opportunities for Institutional Investors in Peru," Invertir Magazine, No. 46, June 2008
- Author, "Is the Bidding-Offer an Efficient Alternative?," Constructivo magazine
- Partner Carlos Núñez participated as moderator in the IV National Congress of Construction Law – CONDEC 2021, on November 22nd and 23rd, 2021. More info here >>
- "Specialization Course in Dispute Resolution Boards", organized by the Arbitration Center of the Lima Chamber of Commerce and the Peruvian Society of Construction Law, which was virtually held by high-level professors, including our partner Carlos Nunez Caballero, who today chairs the new Board of Directors of the SPDC for the period 2021 - 2023. See more here >>
- "Peru liable in metro dispute at ICSID" Published by Latin Lawyer related to DLA Piper Peru’s successful defense of Line 2 of the Lima Metro in the arbitration before the International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) against the Republic of Peru, in the framework of the Concession Contract for the design, construction, equipment and operation of Line 2 of the Lima Metro. Click here to read more >>
- Partner, Carlos Nuñez, was mentioned on Bloomberg Law’s Wake Up Call for his recent appointment as Head of DLA Piper’s International Arbitration practice for LATAM. Read it here >>
Carlos has been interviewed by diverse specialized business publications in Peru such as Semana Económica, Gestión and Día 1(El Comercio).
- Regional head for Latin America of DLA Piper’s International Arbitration practice
- Consultant of the Legal Department of the Inter-American Development Bank in Washington D.C., focused on the development of projects with sovereign guarantee in Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Caribbean countries
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member and Arbitrator at the Lima Chamber of Commerce
My latest insights
DLA Piper lawyers and practices ranked in Chambers Latin America 2022
29 August 2021 .5 minute read
Carlos Nuñez named regional head for Latin America of DLA Piper's International...
30 June 2021 .3 minute read